Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Since getting the TuffTrax frame I have been spraying the bb with penetrating oil. With the help of the vice I removed one end from where it has sat for the past 27 years. Haven't got the other end out yet, it is the end that needs peg spanner and my one Isn't really up to the task. Not applied heat yet, but can now get penetrating spray on other end of the threads.

Also been spraying the rear brake cable outer as it goes through the frame but no sign of movement yet

My cousin's just picked up a Saracen. based on the colour it's one of the following

93 Traverse
93 Kili XTR
94 Kili Comp.

parts are all non-original and decals are absent. Anything useful to be told from the frame number? it's apparently D10 1415

Re:

I saw this on eBay. Bargain regardless.

I don't know about serial numbers but to be a 93 Kili XTR it would need ribbing on the down tube - Tange Ultralight Ultrastrong. Otherwise most likely one of the other two. My hunch is the Traverse.

Re:

I'll be down at his tomorrow. I'm the mega bike nerd of the two of us so I'll give it a good going over

Well, he's dumped it on me and I have it at home now. It hasn't got ribbed downtube, but it does have an M737 XT front mech with a December 93 date code

a 1994 Kili Comp had an M737 XT front mech that might well have been made in 1993. It's my experience that front mechs and frames tend to stay together more than almost any other component except headsets.... which is also a match for the one on the 94 Kili Comp

Re:

This is my first post on Retrobike, I've been meaning to get involved in this discussion for a while. I bought a really mint 1992 Saracen Traverse yesterday. I picked it up in Sheffield off of a very nice bloke called Mel, I paid him £100 for it. Love to know what you fellow Saracen enthusiasts think!

I used to race a 1990 Saracen Traverse Comp back in 1991 to 1993 in Dorset. I've had a 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade in my studio for a while and a 1998 Sunn Verik (I'll be selling both now). I've had my eye out for a 1990 Traverse comp (you know the one, all black with neon yellow, pink and blue decals and a black DX group set) but never found one. Then this crossed my path and I had to have it. It's really mint and original apart from saddle and grips I think. Even the tyres are original and like new. It rides faultlessly. I'm looking forward to owning it.

If anyone has a 1990 Traverse comp they want to sell (same size as this one, 16/17") then please do let me know! I can't find one anywhere. Until I find that then this will do. What should I do to it? I've done nothing apart from remove the blue aftermarket bottle cage.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_4322.jpg
    IMG_4322.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_5913.jpg
    IMG_5913.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 502
Re:

That's a belter. :cool: Really liked the 92 bikes, especially the grey Tufftrax.

I have a 1989 Traverse but can't remember seeing many 90 Comps.

Back