Anyone here ride a Brooks off road?

Re:

Tweed is excellent outdoor wear, and fits well with a proper classic leather saddle.

I am surprised more people are not wearing tweed on the retro bikes.

The finest jacket I have ever owned, was a vintage Harris Tweed in mustard/technicolour herringbone, found in a charity shop. Fitted me like a glove, warm in winter, cool in summer, and looked awesome. Crap for cycling in, mind.

Re:

I have a Brooks cambium C17 carved on my 2017 Orbea H50 and it’s the best saddle I’ve ever used! Super comfy, yet still looks the part. Used for extremely muddy and wet rides round the new forest and it’s still looking like new.
Definitely worth a try.

Re: Re:

pencilman77":s0iu5fhf said:
I have a Brooks cambium C17 carved on my 2017 Orbea H50 and it’s the best saddle I’ve ever used! Super comfy, yet still looks the part. Used for extremely muddy and wet rides round the new forest and it’s still looking like new.
Definitely worth a try.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I needed to hear before committing to such an expensive saddle.

I have always been a hard tail only kinda person,but now use a thudbuster LT and it really takes the edge off when I am too tired to 'ride light' .Have even thought about putting one on my adventure/tourer/gravel/CXer :) for longer bike packing and touring. I can see a return of the Softride stem ;)

Tayside":16hqk9yc said:
I have always been a hard tail only kinda person,but now use a thudbuster LT and it really takes the edge off when I am too tired to 'ride light' .Have even thought about putting one on my adventure/tourer/gravel/CXer :) for longer bike packing and touring. I can see a return of the Softride stem ;)

Funnily enough my 'gravel' Dynatech currently has a girvin flexstem which feels as good as having a sus fork over gravel and light off road.

I rode a Brooks Champion Flyer off-road for almost a decade - comfy but really heavy. I swapped it for a Cambium but was pretty disapointed with it and I sold it eventually after a couple of month (still new looking). The last two years or so I am using a Flite TransAlp for all my rides and be happy with it :)

If I would go for a new saddle I would give Gilles Berthoud a try, classic style, much less weight compared to a Brooks and mud/rain is no issue.

Good luck :)

I'd second (or is it 3rd) a Cambium.
I have a C17 Carved on my current modern bike and it's comfortable straight away, weatherproof and has the right give to it...no numb nuts either.

I do have 2x Brooks Conquests on a couple of bikes to be period correct 1985-6.
Thankfully both these bikes have mudguards, so it's not too difficult to look after the leather, but even with the springs they are literally a pain in the arse.
Also had a Swift BITD...i persisted with it for 3000 miles, but it never submitted.

All the best,

Re:

I can see a return of the Softride stem

Specialized have beaten you to it: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

TGT_2904-e1473371178195-500x536.jpg

It's a bit like Cannondale's HeadShock, but only the handlebars move. It makes me wonder why they didn't put the spring under the head tube and effectively make it a short travel HeadShock, copyright/patent issues perhaps. :?

Back