Orange X2 shock upgrade

Tayside

Dirt Disciple
Hello folks
My Orange X2 frame has the standard coil shock .
I have been wondering how much better the handling would be if I upgraded the shock to something that could be tuned a bit more.
Has anyone tried this?
Thanks

Thanks, but it was more about if anyone was riding or had tried an X2 with a modern shock, rather than going to the bother of finding an alternative that might improve things.

i had a newer coil shock on mine, rode okay but theres not much difference between retro and modern shocks unless your paying £200 plus for a trick one with pro pedal etc, the frame design and travel path make more noticable differences these days imho

I have changed the shock's of my Klein Mantra and my Ibis Szasbo to some more modern Fox RP23. The bikes originally had those Fox Alpes 4R/5R shocks in them. And they are both URT desingn rear end, so maybe comparable to your X2. They both suffer from that infamous "brake jack"effect.
In my case the modern dampeners made a very big difference. As you can fine tune them to you riding style. Everything gets more firm and less weeble-wobble. Brake jack is still there, but very controllable now. I'd say it's a no brainer, if you really want to ride that bike.

In my case the modern dampeners made a very big difference. As you can fine tune them to you riding style. Everything gets more firm and less weeble-wobble. Brake jack is still there, but very controllable now.

That's what I was wondering.
I rather ride it than leave the frame hung up in the shed.
Thanks

Back