Reasonably priced new v-brake XC rims

Re:

I've got a spare wheel set built around mavic d521 36h rims. Rims are pretty mint, zero brake surface wear really, front hasn't even fully worn through the anodised layer. Hubs are black LX parallax on the rear, silver stx RC parallax front (I think I have a spare black LX hub somewhere if you wanted to rebuild the front to match the rear).

foz":36dht7ns said:
Anyone got any suggestions for a 26", 36h, welded and double eyeletted rim? Weight not important, strength is (it's for a heavily loaded touring bike)

Either new, or maybe something like a set of older mavic D521 or similar?

The d521 was renamed ex721, so keep an eye open for those. They also did a disc version though, so check carefully

The d521 was renamed ex721, so keep an eye open for those. They also did a disc version though, so check carefully[/quote]

good to know, thanks!

foz":1kow7xll said:
Anyone got any suggestions for a 26", 36h, welded and double eyeletted rim? Weight not important, strength is (it's for a heavily loaded touring bike)

Rigida Sputnik. I wouldn't get overly hung up on the welds - on Mavics the weld always seems to be the bit that cracks first!

hamster":2otjjal1 said:
foz":2otjjal1 said:

Rigida Sputnik. I wouldn't get overly hung up on the welds - on Mavics the weld always seems to be the bit that cracks first!

Never used them personally, but had very good reviews from people that have them, so for sure they will be my next ones to try. Note that Rigida is now called Ryde, if you search for them.

Don't get why Mavic would drastically reduce 26" rim production. On my daily commute (near Frankfurt, Germany) about 60% of the bikes I see are 26". There's 30 years of 26" bikes that need spares from time to time. Oh well, more market for Ryde, Alex, and the competitors.

Titiritero":re07enyn said:
Don't get why Mavic would drastically reduce 26" rim production. On my daily commute (near Frankfurt, Germany) about 60% of the bikes I see are 26". There's 30 years of 26" bikes that need spares from time to time. Oh well, more market for Ryde, Alex, and the competitors.

Mavic have always been primarily a "performance" brand and there's absolutely no call at all for new 26inch rim brake performance wheels

sputniks are a popular choice with ultra-tourists. That's usually a good sign

Re:

I just bought 3 XC717 disc rims on eBay for £4.80! :shock:

26” is seriously in decline.... the prices suit me just fine :twisted:

SP

Latest posts

Back