Am I Missing Something?

legrandefromage":ep0onl8e said:
Tad":ep0onl8e said:
legrandefromage":ep0onl8e said:
I feel its more dick swinging I'm afraid.

LGF, you've not changed, people spend cash you call dick swinging. I remember the bru ha ha over expensive lights v cheap lights all those years ago.

And? Your point is?

My point is that I go away for a few years, come back and you're still the LGF that we all know and love. It's like going to a pub that you used to drink in regularly and dreading that it's been turned in to some hipstery, artizinal micro distillery gin emporium but no, it still has the same curly cheese sandwich on the bar, the old sofas are still there but held together with more gaffer tape than before and LGF is sat in his regular seat by the fire being just as LGF as he used to be.

legrandefromage":l49r5xs5 said:
Is that a good or bad thing? I'm confused... <strokes beard whilst pondering which gin to choose>

Whatever your take, good or bad....its a spot observation. :LOL:

Re:

Good training for me.

I caught up with someone - eventually - riding one, and sat behind the great big bloke on it for a couple of miles, on the way to work!

I see Pinarello have made a 13kg one. If their other road bikes are anything to go by, it would be bought by the rich and famous only! :LOL:

Re:

Mike Muz 67":3227816n said:
Good training for me.

I caught up with someone - eventually - riding one, and sat behind the great big bloke on it for a couple of miles, on the way to work!

I see Pinarello have made a 13kg one. If their other road bikes are anything to go by, it would be bought by the rich and famous only! :LOL:

So true, but I didn’t catch him up! Was absolutely smoked the other day by a young lad on an e bike, he might as well have been on a motorcycle, didn’t see him for dust!

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":2e5r98ot said:
Mike Muz 67":2e5r98ot said:
Good training for me.

So true, but I didn’t catch him up! Was absolutely smoked the other day by a young lad on an e bike, he might as well have been on a motorcycle, didn’t see him for dust!

Sorry to hear that, Nick!

If you were on a retro mtb, you probably ran out of gears!

I love my retro rides but since doing my knee in for a second time and possible bone fragments in my knee and massive amount of arthritis in it i see i am pushed towards the ebike , I do not want to as i enjoy the exercise but if i want to keep riding its my only choice to convert one of my retro rides,
theres a guy that attends the local rides run by plant cycle works and he has one leg and uses a ebike,

as i see it if you have a disability or joint knee issues etc i see ebikes of a great way of getting the people riding that would not be able to ride ,

I do not see the point in people that are fully capable of riding buying one as i see it as just plain lazy

Re:

E bikes, i see it as pros and cons, assume we're talking pedal assist not twist and go e bikes:-

:) pros:-
it gets someone on a bike that may not have used one

if you're older or have health issues then it helps you , Ali at Fatcreations has some health issues, without his E bike upgrade he wouldn't be able to ride.

someone who would bike 5 miles to work but not 10 might consider riding 10 on an E bike.

as a functional vehicle they make sense, we ride bikes for fun, other people may just consider it transport, so E bike instead of car has to be good.

they are also the biggest growing market in the bike industry right now

:( cons:-
off road E mtb's specifically, some trails in some places are banning them, some people don't understand why, this is to do with trail access, if you are allowed to ride a normal bike on a trail this is because someone has probably pushed for that access on that land, this would have been done specifically for normal bikes, if E bikes are allowed to use the same trails it blurs the line between bikes and motorbikes, this issue is really concerning cyclists in America (anyone follow Drunkcyclist?) this is because the definition of a motorbike is bike +motor = motorbike, regardless of the power source, the suggestion is that motorbikes will then try and push for access based on this definition which means you might end up losing all access for all types of bikes as a land owner might say no to all rather than have some access for certain users, not to mention the scary thought of barrelling down a trail with a motorbike behind you!

that said i think pedal assist mtb's are fine on the trails from a damage to the trail point of view as they cause no more damage than a normal bike but someone is bound to argue otherwise

there is the element of people thinking you're cheating etc, a local ride near me "the turf cutter run" is an off road ride to a pub, the ride is mostly men who are 50+, one had a heart condition so bought an E bike, this pissed the others off, pretty much all of them now have E bikes, frankly they all love them.

drink drivers, i recently fitted an upgrade kit to a normal mtb as the guy had been done for drink driving and lost his license, i'm not sure how i feel about motorising his bike, it feels like cheating around his ban. his bike definitely goes above the official limit of 15.5mph which means he should have tax, MOT and insurance as that drops him into "motorbike" territory,

"jail breaking", some of the new bikes can be adjusted via their software, this is because different countries have different rules, here the limit that the bike can power you to is 15.5mph, elsewhere it is higher, all you have to to do is download the software from another area and bingo your bike will power you to almost 30mph. that makes it a motorbike in my eyes, and that's also illegal.

the add on kits, all you have to do is look on youtube and there are loads of mental people who have botched together bikes on steroids that do nearly 50mph! that will cause other users issues as once the police have seen it they'll start taking an interest.

look at this guys set up :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIhfwjWuj-I

apparently it's a 9000w motor, but look at the bike he has added it to, a BSO, with basic cable disc brakes, so he has the speed of a motorbike and the brakes of a childs Apollo from halfords and that's assuming the brake worked ok to start with as my experience is they just slow you as opposed to stopping you, the possibilities are quite scary.

overall all though if you take the numpties out of the equation i think E bikes are good in the right places used by sensible people, put the numpties back in and we are bound to see issues but that is life.

and that's my 2 pence worth.

Re:

Some really interesting comments coming through and all seem to be similar. Great bikes for those with Ill health and disabilities. This I understand as a step to starting excersise. The rest I just don't understand. We are a nation starting to fight obesity and we are pushing for more and more people to excersise. This is not the step in the right direction, it's just another modern day gadget to make people's life easier/lazier. It's like the day the first remote came out for the tv. Never bothered us to get up and change Channel. We are contradicting ourselves by all using modern technology to make our lives easier yet all jumping on the bandwagon of joining gyms and buying watches to measure steps.

Just get on a normal bike and ride!

Back