Bank transfers instead of PayPal

I have been buying and selling stuff via ebay and paypal on its own for over ten years. I've had approx 3,000 transactions, maybe one or two issues with accounts not set up properly. thats all.

kiss of death?

Re:

Perhaps someone here can help out?

I've bought several bikes from Germany, and for almost all of them I had assistance from fellow RBers who happened to live near the seller. They would act as intermediary in the deal, pick up the bike in person, and ship to me in USA. They spent their own time picking up and packing the bike, and in only one case wherein I volunteered to pay for fuel expenses, they charged me only for cost of the bike plus shipping charges.

In return they have a USA "connection" (me) who will drop whatever I'm doing to return the favor across the pond.

Re: Re:

incorrigible":1g8g6r0h said:
Perhaps someone here can help out?

I've bought several bikes from Germany, and for almost all of them I had assistance from fellow RBers who happened to live near the seller. They would act as intermediary in the deal, pick up the bike in person, and ship to me in USA. They spent their own time picking up and packing the bike, and in only one case wherein I volunteered to pay for fuel expenses, they charged me only for cost of the bike plus shipping charges.

In return they have a USA "connection" (me) who will drop whatever I'm doing to return the favor across the pond.

Reminds me of this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60127

Re:

Why would you want to put blind faith in handing over payments or goods or services to someone you don't know well enough without any cover or guarantees? Just how difficult is it for people to use PayPal and why are they resistant to using a such reputable quick easy to use system like PayPal which covers both buyer and seller?

Re:

I'd want the security of PayPal. If they are unwilling to set up an account, walk away. Unless you are protected by your bank? I have been stung twice by bank transfers and will never do it again. Nothing is worth a scam?

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":28h9sssi said:
Why would you want to put blind faith in handing over payments or goods or services to someone you don't know well enough without any cover or guarantees? Just how difficult is it for people to use PayPal and why are they resistant to using a such reputable quick easy to use system like PayPal which covers both buyer and seller?

Because the seller gets charged for using paypal, and there are very specific rules to qualify for protection. The buyer can easily scam you if you dont follow all the rules.

As for what you said earlier, giving out your bank details isnt really a great risk as they cant do anything with them, apart from pay into your account :) and if your the buyer you dont give them out anyway.

There are reasons for using both systems really, there are others you could use as well.

As for the original post, have you thought about offering to pay the paypal fees for the seller, and maybe explaining how you could both recieve protection? even though i dont know how it applies to foreign transactions.

i thought it was the fees, and i had volunteered paying for extra in the first instance but the seller shot using Paypal down. probably due to bad experience or perception that it was difficult to setup? between his not perfect english and my very bad german, i thought to lessen the complications and look at the bank transfer as the only way he preferred, or even better, pick up the bike in person!

hey, am over 40+ and have been using PayPal for the past 15 years!! :)

i agree tho - it is scary, to wire monies with zero to no recourse if he decides not to send the bike. have to really do a leap of faith!

will decide at the end of the day.
cheers all

Re:

I've been buying and selling on eBay and PayPal for years and really, the fees are very insignificant unless you're a tight wad (I'm saying that as a tight Northerner). When buying from an individual over PayPal, I always add something extra for goodwill to cover any extra fees for the seller. Both eBay and PayPal are simple to use. You do occasionally get individuals who try to rip you off but at least with eBay and PayPal there are protections and options for dispute resolution. I don't why baulk at this. Bank or money wire transfers can't be reclaimed back if something goes wrong in the deal.

I tend to pay for items using bank transfer. I find it preferable to pay pal to save on the fees.
If you gift then I believe there is even less protection?
I understand how pay pal works and protects a buyer on an official purchase site such as eBay but how does it work for just a payment?
Either gift or a straight transfer of monies with fees, how does pay pal offer protection when there is not an actual transaction on the other side?
For a seller I can see it means not having to hand over bank details, but for a buyer I really can't see the benefit as either way your having to use blind faith paying money to a stranger.

Re:

When you're paying for goods or services, don't use Gift as this is for only sending money as a gift for a birthday or other special occasion. With fees, if these are a burning issue, then come to an agreement on price between buyer/seller.

Back