Coke can shims

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Not made one before but figured I would for a temporary fix.

How do I make sure the shim doesn't disappear into the frame? How many layers should I use? (what thickness is one skin of a coke can)?

Any pointers welcomed! :D :shock:

Assuming it's for the headset, you wrap a single thickness shim around the cups and the pressure should keep it in place as you press the headset in.

I've also got shims on the bottom bracket for holding a crank on. With these I've glued the shim on.

Re:

I made a seat-post one for a mate.

Just cut the can to rough size; scissors work well. Then bend as many as fits best around the seat-post to fit in-between it and the seat-tube.

I then bonded (metal-two-part adhesive type stuff) the two 'shim' pieces together and left to set wrapped around the seat-post, wrapped tightly with rubber bands!

You can then anneal the top and 'bend' it over a bit to give a lip so it doesn't drop down.

It works well and still going strong on his bike :)

Not sure of the can thickness, but I could measure for you if required?

Cheers

Pics!...

ya1mcy0.jpg

rC9tdEd.jpg

Re:

Martin that is exactly what I needed to see! :D

Yes it's for the seatpost and I had in mind a kind of USE shim design - which you have rather expertly constructed.
The seatpost I've got is the correct make for the bike, but the wrong diameter - but figured it'll do for now. I think its 26.4mm but needs to be 27.2mm, so a few layers on thin aluminium should allow me to build-up the 0.8mm I need :)

Cheers!

Re:

Weight weenies use Diet Coke can shims.

If you want it to last use Irn Bru.

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":2qlyre7c said:
Martin that is exactly what I needed to see! :D

Yes it's for the seatpost and I had in mind a kind of USE shim design - which you have rather expertly constructed.

The seatpost I've got is the correct make for the bike, but the wrong diameter - but figured it'll do for now. I think its 26.4mm but needs to be 27.2mm, so a few layers on thin aluminium should allow me to build-up the 0.8mm I need :)

Cheers!

:cool:

I rubbed down the alloy-sheet (from the can) with red-oxide paper...1..to roughen the surface for bonding and 2..to remove the can logos which probably isn't necessary!

Cheers

Re:

Aluminium foil trays you get meat joints in are a little thicker I think. I start with a full can of alloy, then wrap it around and try to fit. I keep trimming the end off until the post and shim goes in.

Wadsy’s finishing is more than I’ve ever achieved! But is way better than wrapping as it keeps the post centralised - wrapping will create an un-even thickness.

Has anyone used plastic drinks bottle for this? They’ll be closer to 0.4mm than the can and won’t scratch the post. I’ve never tried plastic for this - but have used it under seat clamps a few times.

I just measured with a digital vernier:
Aluminium drinks can 0.1mm
2l Plastic milk bottle 0.4mm

SP

Back