Bicycle suspension is evil

Re:

1990s 26" with all mod cons, mix of cable disc and V brakes.....what more could you ask

dscf5500-001.jpg

Still like my HTs though

Re:

Modern cars may have all the electronic aids and better fuel efficiency but the older analogue cars are more fun to drive at safe speeds on public roads.

Re:

Yes, but roads have speed limits; last time I checked, trails (unless in Marin County) don't..

FWIW, I can see both sides of the coin - I have a rigid steel Voodoo SS (albeit with discs, because, well, they're just better ;-)), and a modern (and I mean properly modern geometry) 160/145mm 1x11 full suspension.

You know what; they're both fun in their own way. The Voodoo is my winter/commuter hack, used for local singletrack and bridleway bimbles. It's got skinny low-volume 2.1 tyres with almost no tread so it slides all over the place. It's rattly and hard work. Riding it teaches me to pick it up over rough stuff, ride lightly and conservatively. Because line choice is so critical though, I find myself not looking as far down the trail as I'd like - I tend to ride the surface rather than the "flow" of the trail.

The modern, on the other hand, is my go-to for fast rides, jumps, drops - it has a longer wheelbase than most DH bikes but without feeling sluggish; though I find I need to have a much more aggressive riding style with it - weighting the front end more, and really chucking it about. It rewards that kind of riding though, and the significantly faster speeds allow me to see lines that just aren't there at slower speeds. Because I can trust the suspension to deal with the trail surface (to an extent), I can read the trail as a whole, and really look ahead to find the flow.

Horses for courses really - I suppose it depends on what you want out of your riding. If you're essentially a rambler on a bike, then no, modern full suspension bikes won't be your thing. If, however, you get an adrenaline rush from hitting a trail as fast as possible, the joy of sheer speed and flow, hitting big drops and jumps at speed, and really grabbing the bike by the scruff and throwing it about - then there's very little that can match a modern FS.

Neither is right or wrong intrinsically, it's just up to us to pick the right tool for the job. And hey, it's just riding bicycles in the woods! If you're having fun, you're doing it right..

Re:

and that's what he was saying isn't it?

There are places for suspension, what you are using it for is not the average rider, but a niche rider. Someone who will actually use it.

Most people could ride anything they ride with a + tyre size and be in comfort without "suspension". Can also paths, bridleways, to the shops, even round you average trail centre up to reds.

They should be a lot cheaper and simpler to maintain than cheap rear suspension frames and cheap suspension forks.

He's talking budget £400 bikes and below, not £3000+ bikes where people can afford a new one every year.

Back