The best procedure to remove the carbon frame lacquer

dan66

Dirt Disciple
What is the best procedure to remove the carbon frame lacquer?
Someone recommends maechanical blasting.
Other chemical removal (acethone, methylethylketone).
I don't want to damage the structure. Ideally uncover carbon and use only a transparent lacquer.

Re:

Thanks for the offer, but from Prague it would be a little complicated...
Can you tell me which method is more gentle and brings the best results?

The good paint shops do it by hand, with wet and dry. That makes it quite expensive though. Chemicals are always risky as they may also attack the resin.

I went through this with my Trek OCLV.

Most paint strippers should be avoided, as they'll attack the resin. There are some water based strippers that are safe to use, but I only know the UK ones. Incidentally, they didn't touch the paint on my frame! They do work, I've used them before, just not on all kinds of paint.

The quickest way I found in the end was to use a brand new stanley blade/scalpel blade. hold it so that it's 90 degrees to the frame and drag it hard across the paint. it'll take the paintoff, and unless you're very heavy handed, won't touch the carbon & resin. Sanding WILL damage the resin & carbon, so be very careful.

If your paint is good, I'd rough it up and re-paint, mine was very rough so I removed it all, and It did take a very lon time...

Re:

Thanks for optimistic ideas about how to spend long winter evenings :xmas-wink: :xmas-wink: :xmas-wink: !!!
Everyone sometimes needs a moment of meditation :p :p :p ...
But it means I'll love that bike...

Aye, it won't happen overnight, but it'll be worth it!

All my own work, even the paint :)

Attachments

• DSC05583.JPG
    DSC05583.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 922
  • DSC03386.JPG
    DSC03386.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 922
What frame is it? Some carbon frames use UD (unidirectional) tubes that don't have the typical carbon-fiber weave to them. UD carbon naked looks rather...underwhelming. Would suck to go to work removing the paint just to find out that the carbon underneath looks nothing like you expected.

My_Teenage_Self":1zyujo1j said:
Aye, it won't happen overnight, but it'll be worth it!

All my own work, even the paint :)

Loved reading that thread, some time ago now, IIRC.

Mike

You can sand carbon fibre down and when you clear it you can't tell it was sanded down, that's is as long as you have done minimal damage to the top layer of fabric.
When you sand it down it will look black, spray it with water and it will look how it will look when it's been laquered.

I made carbon petrol tanks on foam, I sanded them down and painted them.
There is an epoxy[SP115 I think] that's intended as a flow coat on laminates, it flows
out like glass, but I never got it absolutely perfect all over so stuck with 2pack clear.

Back