Patina or Refinished

Re:

My first FAT is all original paint, plenty of patina. Its been around Europe a few times, up countless hills and down dales. Every scratch reminds me of a ride or location. I only ride it on gentle terrain now, as im too scared of damaging it. I repainted a rare structurally perfect Yo and its just a work of art thanks to FATCREATIONS. Wanted that bike and look for 20+ years. It just makes me happy looking at it but i have only ridden it around the block to tune it up. People say things dont make you happy. What a load of boll0x :LOL:

Re: Re:

M-Power":3lta7jvu said:
My first FAT is all original paint, plenty of patina. Its been around Europe a few times, up countless hills and down dales. Every scratch reminds me of a ride or location. I only ride it on gentle terrain now, as im too scared of damaging it. I repainted a rare structurally perfect Yo and its just a work of art thanks to FATCREATIONS. Wanted that bike and look for 20+ years. It just makes me happy looking at it but i have only ridden it around the block to tune it up. People say things dont make you happy. What a load of boll0x :LOL:

This is the correct answer.

Definitely patina here...unless the finish is so far gone that it needs a re-spray.
Parts...definitely patina...no point in not riding it, and all that lovely NOS stuff will drop 60% as soon as it gets mud and scrapes.

All the best,

Re: Re:

Retro junkie":3oa386vk said:
Patina is a word that is just a cover up for your true feelings that you wish it was mint. End of!!!

Ha Ha!
Refinished is further away from mint than one with a few scrapes and wear!

Both are fine with me. I have a few nos parts and have thought about repainting a frame or two, but i would end up not wanting to ride them, so for now just let them be and enjoy :cool:

Mark

Re:

A chap on an unrestored motorbike that was ~100 years old told me "You can restore them any time you like, but it'll only be original once"

SP

Only original once I say!
But refinished is great as long as it's done well. It has to be all in, it has to be spot on authentic. I'd take the scrappiest of original paint over poorly or unsympathetically refinished any day.

At the moment I've got two builds on slow burn which showcase well worn finishes, and one build which is being fresh refurbished.

Back