Patina or Refinished

boswell

Retro Guru
So do you prefer your Retro Ride to be all original wearing it's patina with pride or do you like it stripped and refinished?

Me I prefer it all original showing it's age and all the adventures it's had.

Depends on the frame and condition. For some of the tattier ones it's lovely to see them lovingly restored and doted over. For others, they look good original. My Zaskar, for example: it's ball burnished, dent in the top tube where I dropped it on a wall in the 90's, GT stickers showing their age - but I love all the history as it was my bike from new.

So uselessly: six of one half a dozen of the other, from me. :D

My bikes all show their age and wear. On the other hand if I came across a frame that was once a true icon and it was rough I would do a complete restoration and build. In some cases it is necessary to preserve the bike. Lets say you find a Yo Eddie or similar frame that's dented, cracked or rusted, it's worth sending out for a professional repair and repaint.

Re:

I prefer original but you can find mint original so job's a good one.

Nothing wrong with refinishing especially a rare frame but it has to be done properly imo.

For reference all three of my built retro bikes are original but I do have a frame in my favourite colour from bitd that is past saving. Also have a tiny frame in great nick that I am keeping for my boy and had thought about doing them to match.

There's a place for both. I have done both. Both work. Personal choice rules.

I don't think you can beat the original finish for the mass market bikes with evocative paint schemes, splatter konas, zoltan marins, powder coated saracens, GTs with colour matched stems etc etc

Bespoke and semi bespoke handmades I reckon fair game to repaint when needed. Was always part of the plan

Latest posts

Back