Merlin Metalworks Owners Thread & Serial Numbers collect

1991 Merlin Mountain #3829
GG Bottom bracket, straight stays, titanium rear brake cable guide tube, custom ordered top tube cablerouting with FD-pulley.

Friendly greetings
IHateRain

Re:

19" 1993 merlin mountain ser # 8270
grease guard threaded BB shell
S bend chain stays white decals
seller claims the engraved number on bb shell denotes a $700 bb shell upgrade i.e threaded vs press fit bb :roll: who knows :face palm:
seatpost is 27.2

Re:

Mines a "Road" from May '89. As confirmed by Tom Kellogg himself.
55cm. #860
Modded heavily to include BTCs, rear disc tab, 26" wheels & drilled for Di2 Ultegra.
Also
White Industries M6 hubs on Mavic XC717 32hole
90's USE ti post
Mavic 631 Starfish chainset
Redshift detachable carbon Tri bars
Specialized power pro saddle
Wound up Carbon disc forks
Avid BB7 road disc brakes.
Mine also has the very lived in look as it travels with me all over the world. In a Buxum bike "Galibier" case. Hence the 26"wheels (don't need to deflate them for packing)
I apologise for the somewhat 'unretro' parts on it. But 1" steerer disc forks are very hard to come by, the Di2 means I just split a junction box when I collapse the bike for travel, not a tensioned cable, and nobody else makes detachable carbon Tri bars.

Re: Re:

mikepday":goxynvk9 said:
Mines a "Road" from May '89. As confirmed by Tom Kellogg himself.
55cm. #860
Modded heavily to include BTCs, rear disc tab, 26" wheels & drilled for Di2 Ultegra.
Also
White Industries M6 hubs on Mavic XC717 32hole
90's USE ti post
Mavic 631 Starfish chainset
Redshift detachable carbon Tri bars
Specialized power pro saddle
Wound up Carbon disc forks
Avid BB7 road disc brakes.
Mine also has the very lived in look as it travels with me all over the world. In a Buxum bike "Galibier" case. Hence the 26"wheels (don't need to deflate them for packing)
I apologise for the somewhat 'unretro' parts on it. But 1" steerer disc forks are very hard to come by, the Di2 means I just split a junction box when I collapse the bike for travel, not a tensioned cable, and nobody else makes detachable carbon Tri bars.

I wouldn't mind seeing that if you have any pictures of the bike Mike.

Re:

Merlin Mountain 7198 ('92) has just landed with me :D

Fully rigid on black Ritchey forks, and with full M900 XTR.
A few tweaks to the current spec required to remove some 'ugly' components, but other than that it's a fine machine!

Once A Hero":3uvw1l2x said:

A few tweaks to the current spec required to remove some 'ugly' components, but other than that it's a fine machine!

Pics needed and welcome to the fold, my favourite unfussy retro bike :)

Minifreak":1z5vmje6 said:
Once A Hero":1z5vmje6 said:

Pics will have to follow when I actually have time to take some :facepalm:
Took a chance on buying it from eBay from the states and must say I am pleasantly surprised with its condition :cool:
Seatpost is the wrong size (26.8 instead of 27.2 :shock: ) plus the stem doesn't have a roller and the headset cable hanger used is too close to the stem so things aren't as free as they should be. Seat, tyres, grips, and handlebars need to be changed too, so I've got some shopping to do still!
Always wanted one and am looking forward to getting it just how I want it :D

Once A Hero":24353tkq said:
Minifreak":24353tkq said:
Once A Hero":24353tkq said:

Pics will have to follow when I actually have time to take some :facepalm:
Took a chance on buying it from eBay from the states and must say I am pleasantly surprised with its condition :cool:
Seatpost is the wrong size (26.8 instead of 27.2 :shock: ) plus the stem doesn't have a roller and the headset cable hanger used is too close to the stem so things aren't as free as they should be. Seat, tyres, grips, and handlebars need to be changed too, so I've got some shopping to do still!
Always wanted one and am looking forward to getting it just how I want it :D

Is it the one from US under eBay item number 202018374870 ?

Some nice tan walls, ODI or Ritchey grips and a Flite or Turbo saddle and she'll be stunning :)

Back