Shipping frame from USA ££££££!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah he said it's 18lbs. He must of packed it well! The thing is I've bought the frame from an ebay seller who wouldn't send it me direct so I've called in a favour from a friend in the US if he will have it delivered to him then arrange for it to be sent over to me. I don't want to start having to ask him to repackage it all if I can help it.

The cheapest means to ship from the USA will be USPS and yes, the box will have to be smaller than 108" length + girth.
I recently shipped a large frame from California, USA to Germany for about $85 USD.
So the box was 36" long (length), 26" highx2 + 8" widex2 (girth). 36"+26"+26"+8"+8" = 104" total, so I was under the max size restriction USPS has for shipping.

I've also done some frame trades with my Euro friends and shipping from Europe to the USA was less expensive than from the USA to Europe....same box, same weight, same locations. I'm not sure why that is, but if you get high quotes from someone in the USA, they're not ripping you off, it just seems to be more expensive for us to export. FedEx, UPS, and DHL are also significantly more expensive. You will get better tracking and insurance, but costs will be double USPS if you can't get the box size down.

Re:

Ah thanks that explains it then regarding the max dimensions calculation (it's not very clear on the usps page). Mine works out at 128" if you add the length (36) plus height x 2 (66) plus width x 2 (26). I'll have to ask my mate if he can reduce the overall size to fit. Thanks again.

Re: Re:

16vGTI":220h54ls said:
Ah thanks that explains it then regarding the max dimensions calculation (it's not very clear on the usps page). Mine works out at 128" if you add the length (36) plus height x 2 (66) plus width x 2 (26). I'll have to ask my mate if he can reduce the overall size to fit. Thanks again.

Agreed, their explanation isn't great. You're essentially measuring the length, then wrapping the measuring tape around the box to get the second measurement they use.

Your dimensions seem like it's maybe a full bike box? Best you can do via USPS is a frame. Full bikes will need a different method. Cutting down boxes is a pain in the ass, but if your buddy is the methodical type with a sharp box cutter and some time, you can really narrow down the box and still keep the bike especially safe.

20148793_10209517850814455_1399140738_o_zpste4fihcq.jpg

20542952_10209635049024337_910709277_o_zpsx6frx2ms.jpg

rumpfy":2dyo7giz said:
16vGTI":2dyo7giz said:

Agreed, their explanation isn't great. You're essentially measuring the length, then wrapping the measuring tape around the box to get the second measurement they use.

Your dimensions seem like it's maybe a full bike box? Best you can do via USPS is a frame. Full bikes will need a different method. Cutting down boxes is a pain in the ass, but if your buddy is the methodical type with a sharp box cutter and some time, you can really narrow down the box and still keep the bike especially safe.

20148793_10209517850814455_1399140738_o_zpste4fihcq.jpg

20542952_10209635049024337_910709277_o_zpsx6frx2ms.jpg

Out of interest what size was this frame? Mine's a 22.5 centre to top seat tube & 23.5 top tube.

Gerard":1p7sjnrj said:
Sorry to the OP, off thread.....but Oh that frame! I really hope it stayed in the UK as I so want one.

You're in luck, this one didn't come from the UK! Are you thinking of the Atkin's bike?

16vGTI":f5e3hmrb said:
Out of interest what size was this frame? Mine's a 22.5 centre to top seat tube & 23.5 top tube.

The Litespeed built frames came in either 17.5" or 19". Aprox 60 were made in total.
This is a Merlin built frame and all 14 frames were 19".

Is yours full ti? I think those came in a 21"+ size.

rumpfy":3tt5s3jv said:
16vGTI":3tt5s3jv said:

The Litespeed built frames came in either 17.5" or 19". Aprox 60 total were made in total.
This is a Merlin built frame and all 14 frames were 19".

Is yours full ti? I think those came in a 21"+ size.

No sorry I didn't mean I had a frame like yours - I was just wanting to know the size of your frame so I could work out if mine would fit in a similar sized box!

Latest posts

Back