Trek 850 - Commuter bike Vs Old roadie

Abaca

Old School Hero
Hi all

Been really thinking about cycling to the train station,a distance of 8 miles there and back.

I have scoured Gumtree religiously for an old roadie to use but they're all too far for me to travel to it too much cash. I have only £80-90 to play with but I don't mind fixing up a bike.

I'm having zero luck sourcing anything nearby and I'm not that great with EBAY.

So that leaves me with the Trek mountain bike I have.

Now I love this bike but she's a tank,I reckon she could stop and bullet and save my life she's that tough.

So apart from fitting road tyres which I'm not sure how much better it will really be since it's a MTB wheel is there anything else I can do to make her more commuter friendly?

Or am I better to just keep checking and wait for something more appropriate??

Work has also offered me the cycle to work scheme,it seems like a good idea but I do like retro bikes more than new one's. However Decathlon has a road bike the Btwin triban 100 that looks like a good starter bike.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Re:

4 miles each way? I'd just ride the trek, and get some new tyres when you need to.

Mudguards and a rack all you need. And a lock.

Great idea, bikes and trains go together.

Yeah sorry 8 miles total.

I guess it's worth a try to chuck some road tyres and see how I get on, anyone have any recommendations.

Thanks

I've been happy with Schwalbe Kojak (slicks) and Continental Race King (studded) on commuters. Schwalbe City Jet (slicks, again) also have a good rep and is probably the cheapest quality option, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Just make sure you're getting a width that you're comfortable with.

I have a City Jet for sale if you decide to try them, only have one plus a tube but easy to get another.

Re:

With some slick tyres on your mtb you should fair whizz along on the tarmac, they do make quite a difference. You don't have to go for skinny slick tyres either, fatter tyres will keep things relatively comfy too.

I commute on an old Cannondale m400 (on 1.5" slick tyres), with various bits added to make a fairly heavy rig. Aside from the occasional "serious" road racer burning me off but generally it whizzes along pretty good and can keep up with most without too much effort.

I'd say go for it with the Trek - you can always change to a road set up at a later date if you don't get on with it.

Re:

For that distance you'd be fine as it is but slicks/semi slicks will make it easier. I had an old Raleigh mantis which as many will know isn't the lightest or best bike but with a set of 1.5 slicks I used to do 16 mile a day easily on it.

Back