Does anyone else ask what old bits bike shops have?

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So today I am staying in Devizes Wiltshire as I have a job interview in the morning with a view to move from Kent. Checked in to a lovely hotel and before I settled down for a bit of preparation I thought it'd be rude not to have a look around, specifically for the bike shop :LOL:

On entering there was the usual collection of modern bikes and a workshop come till area, best thing was the guy who runs it looked to be in his late 50's so knowledgable, and a very nice NOS with box Royce Titanium BB 68x126 sat pride of place in a glass cabinet!

On the off chance he has more delights I mention the BB and my interest in all things retro MTB, showing him pics of my builds and keeper bikes. Next thing I know the front doors locked and we are off down the steep steps into a slightly musty cellar, an Alladins cave of bike parts.

The highlight being a lovely HARO Extreme Comp bike with bolt on rear using a U brake, mainly XTR M900, RockShox Mag 21's and Ritchey tyres. I asked but he wouldn't sell :facepalm: Other bikes included a Zolatone Marin Bear Valley as new accept for the saddle, and a MuddyFox Roadrunner.

I picked up a lovely set of Manitou 2's with a long 1 1/8" threaded steerer and a PACE NOS 74bcd black grannie ring, I have no use for the fork but I'm a retro magpie so couldn't leave it.

He also had a nice set of early HOPE disc brakes and a four arm Race face chainset should anyone be after these bits.

Place is called Bikes N Boards, well worth a visit.

For sure, I've asked this at every bikeshop I came across the last years.
The older ones that is. The score isn't that much, only NOS I found the last 5 years was some Dia Comp canti's, Sugino cranks and some stems.
They either sold everything to another collecter in the past or didn't have any anymore.

Jamis Diablo":qrfpbtra said:
For sure, I've asked this at every bikeshop I came across the last years.
The older ones that is. The score isn't that much, only NOS I found the last 5 years was some Dia Comp canti's, Sugino cranks and some stems.
They either sold everything to another collecter in the past or didn't have any anymore.

If you don't ask you don't get I guess ;)

He had a load of old Animal T-Shirts, Answer Cycle shoes and even an Answer half leather jacket, all unsold but none of it in my size though unfortunately.

Re:

An old lbs I know own has a 700c tioga disc drive and a ti tioga cassette. I asked about buying them over email (it's now a very long way from me) but never got a reply.

Re:

Thankfully im not a roadie anymore but if i ever wanted bad palpitations, id ask this at JD Whisker's. Imagine asking for some Euclid....grumpy would slap you.

Just had a Google and found they have a place in WGC not far away....et quell surprise...no webshite...still keeping it under the radar as always...hope there is a resident grump on site to remind me of the old days. Bet our TDF Champ from Kilburn frequented the old haunt too :LOL:

Back