What to do? - Marin Indian Fire Trail

UpOnOne

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

I would love to get your thoughts and ideas on what to do.
I have accidentally stumbled over a Marin Indian Fire Trail, with the Manitou SX TI front (The original unsprung front was also included), Mavic 217 wheels and Shimano Deore XT brakes and gears.
The bike has only original parts except the Manitou front and a headset that goes with that (also have the original headset).

Status and state of the bike:
The right crank arm from White industries/Sugino is missing and the 42 and 32 chainring are very worn down.
I think the crankarm is the MN series and there are also the number 3 stamped into the back of it.
It has the White Industries logo engraved on the front.
The Manitou TI SX is in surprising good state and feels lively and with no dead spots.
The front XT (Think it is the M739) shifter is dead – rusted stuck in one position. I tried everything to make it move but no luck.
Back shifter looks good, but the pullies are worn down. XT M739
The 8 chainrings on the back looks good and the wheels are in perfect condition.

I am a total bike novice and have never really done any work to my road bikes, so I am a bit confused as to what parts will fit or not.

I have been looking for a replacement crank arm in the same model as the one I have, but with no luck.

So now I am thinking what to do to get the bike up and running again.Should I use the time and look for a new front shifter model XT M739 or should I upgrade and get a newer instead?
And what about the back shifter? Should I go for a newer model number or try to get pullies for the old one?

As for the crank and missing crankarm – what to do?
Could this be a valid replacement?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Shimano-XT-FC-M7 ... SwtxZZjJcI

What about tire size? Could I go with a 2,10” wide tire from Schwalbe?
https://www.cykelpartner.dk/schwalbe-no ... 00663.html

Please if any of you have any thoughts on how I should progress to get the bike in a working condition so that I can hit the trails soon :)

Best Regards, Erik

Attachments

• Marin.jpg
    Marin.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 458
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back