Modern indexed gears on a retro MTB

jaiz

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have an old Peugeot Alpina MTB (1988ish) which has the original none indexed gears (15 speed) on it. Has anyone fitted modern gears to a retro bike and what problems should I expect to encounter?

Cheers
James

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Depends on your plan for the bike. If you want to upgrade then it's easier to buy a complete donor bike. Trouble your going to have is your bike probably doesn't have a rear hanger for the derailleur to mount to so unless your going 18 speed you will probably need to start with a 7 speed derailleur with a hanger. Then it's just a case of transferring parts onto your old frame including crank and chain if it's narrow as yours won't be. put your old bits in the loft for safe keeping. Oh and the frame may need stretching out a bit to fit a seven speed but you won't know that till you try. Good luck

Re:

You don't need 7 speed to index. My pubber has 5 speed indexed gears.
What you need is
1. Make sure you have a 5 (or 6) speed block with nominal 5mm pitch, like shimano
2. A shimano rear mech for 5,6,7 speed
3. Shimano 5 or 6 speed shifter. Mine on the pub bike is cheapo plastic thumbie

You can get the block for less than a tenner and a twist grip shifter for about the same. Many on here will have a suitable mech for sale.

Full 9 speed deore group on an 85 Overbury's without issue if you're prepared to charge the rear wheel.

I mounted a 10 speed SLX on an early nineties Colnago Master Alloy. Only troubles I had was finding a downpull front derailleur.

The 5 speed Shimano SIS gears sort of index, but they're not very slick. The freewheel doesn't have all the real Hyperglide ramps on the teeth, just a few twisted teeth and shortened ones. I'd go for 6 or 7 speed, as these are "proper" Hyperglide. What's the rear spacing? If it's 135mm you can get anything in there.

Back