1996 Marin Nail Trail Overhaul

npn

Retro Guru
Hey guys, I'm onto my my next project: a build using the 1996 Marin Nail Trail frame that I recently got.

So even though I'd call it 1996 Marin Nail Trail, the only thing apparently would be the frame and possibly the rear derailleur hanger that is still original.

Here's my biggest dilemma: Cantilever or V-Brakes?

There's this arch/bracket for the cable stop which is great. And I want to use it for the retro look and all.

/This is what I'm talking about, even though it's not my frame on the picture/
s1gaU4c.jpg

However, what of the front? I have an older (1998-2000) Manitou suspension fork which I'd like to use but it doesn't allow for cantis.

Thoughts?

Re:

I hate to see redundant hangers, so use it!

Depending on your fork steerer length, you may be able to fit a canti hanger.

Got a good deal on a SLX M660 Chainset which I'm planing to use for this build. However, it didn't come with a bottom bracket.

The original BB for SLX M660 is BB70 which comes with spacers to accommodate 68mm BB frames. My frame BB shell is 68mm - I looked at BB-RS500 which is 68mm.

Can you guys tell me if it would work?

Re:

So as not to hi-jack the other thread. Any more photos of this media blasted finish from different angles?

Looks similar to the 'frosted RSR' finish Fuchs wheels early 911 fans pay a fortune for.

No, that's all. Now the bike is all dusty muddy and stuff. I have to say many people thought it was OEM bike/color combination

Re:

It does look oem finish in these photos. Good work.

Would look even better with the earlier font Marin decals imho.

Sure Gil could sort you some.

Assuming the current ones are above the clearcoat.

Re:

It appears that you are using v - brake leavers and a cantilever on the rear. How is that working out for you? I've heard from some people that it's fine and others that it doesn't work well.

Back