Kona fire mountain 94 "Arturo rs edition"

Arthur rs

Dirt Disciple
Hi, here is the restoration process of this bike. I choose a kona because was one of the iconic mtb makers of my old school mtb friends group(with marin too). Dispite this is a basic model, i will put much love and will upgrade some components, will customize too in my own style/way. Starting with de paint process.

I will not put all the pics, but only the ones that shows the results of each part of the process.

I will update the post with the other parts of the process, like painting and set up components.

Previously of that process showed, i removed all rust from bottom bracket tube, and the one inside frame with an acid dust remover.

As always i apologize for my english if words are not too apropiatte.

Attachments

• OEM (2).jpg
    OEM (2).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Decapandose 3.jpg
    Decapandose 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 20170820_120522.jpg
    20170820_120522.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,371
Re:

Aside from the upgrades, what are your plans? Restore the original paint, or choose a new colour?

(Don't worry too much about the English. It's clear enough.)

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":miogdpim said:
Aside from the upgrades, what are your plans? Restore the original paint, or choose a new colour?

(Don't worry too much about the English. It's clear enough.)

I will choose a new color, a "tuned" color with the idea of model,s name in mind "fire mountain" The base color will be black but tuned with red and yellow.

Something similar to this.
6940f48b.jpg

but changing the white over te black, for red and yelow.

I know this is not oem from kona, but i like to be "original", and the design of gt,s is the one i like more in paiting terms. I cannot do it equal but you will imagine the idea.

Re: Re:

Remko":3aqgq2zg said:
Nice project.
What paintstripper did you use? And would you recommend it?

¿do you mean paint remover? if yes, i use a local maker one in my area

I have used in aluminium frame too, and no problem with aplication or damage to the material of frame.

Attachments

• A la izquierda el barniz usado.jpg
    A la izquierda el barniz usado.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,231
The proces i used is first rust removing, whash the product with high pressure water machine, this removed the product and the small fragments of rust moving inside the tubes , then dry up, then a spry grease aplied to the all inside frame tubes to prevent new rust.

Applied paint remover, then remove all the product and the paint, polished all the frame with this.

Attachments

• 10309971_ls.jpg
    10309971_ls.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,225
The last cleaning before the painting process will be made with "metallic wool", i dont know how you call, is something like this

Attachments

• lana-de-acero-fina.jpg
    lana-de-acero-fina.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,225
Now the project will be some days stopped, i have another "home-tasks" and another bycicles to upgrade, changes...

This week have started the white primer process with his brother, a Marin team marin frame, previosuly was cleaned.

Attachments

• LIMPIO (1).JPG
    LIMPIO (1).JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,118
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,118
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,118
Back