AMP Research research

Many thanks Dan & Swede. I was actually just looking through those 7 pages when Dan posted. Very nice adapter. Hopefully B3 hasn't gone too much to ground!

Last question. Risse website shows Two different models of shock for the B3 and B4 , but only references a quarter an inch of travel as being the difference. Would B3 shock work on a b4?

Well my B4 framed turned up and I am chuffed. :D
Very much looking forward to this build.
I will need some F3xc forks, if any of you have some lurking.

Can I just check seat post is 31.8mm?

Looks to be bottom pull on the FD. Just run the cable under and up to the recessed hole? No guide so to speak on the bb for bare cable.

The pivot, just behind the bb, is just a tube with grub screws, no bolt with nut the whole way through which surprises me. I can see the issue of tightening too much and reducing movement, but if it were sleeved...

Will get a Rssie rear shock eventually, but front is more important. Does the rear shock lock to the rear triangle at the bottom or top near the spring adjuster. Or can or be set to change geometry? K notice on Dan's photos ir is locked at the bottom.

I'm thinking of using some conventional shocks (SID XC) on front to beginning with so can go either disc or rim. Need to sort an adapter lut cor the rear. Might look a a rear cable disc brake, similar to original bit ISo fitting.
Lots to think about, but very excited. Love it. My first full suspension bike! :LOL:

Re:

The bb pivot needs to be tight. The travel/movement is the rear triangle pivoting on the axle via the bushings. If the axle isn't tight, I can work its way out of the frame and cause all sorts of damage.

Rear shock needs to be fitted fully into the rear stay mount and bolted to the main triangle via the eyelets (the shock will only have one set of these so you can't go wrong).

Re:

Well I'm having fun building my frame up. Not as straightforward as I hoped particularly when it come to brakes. Disc brakes are new to me....learning curve.

I have F3xc forks with v brake bosses so the front is not really a problem. Rather irritatingly I have the front adapter, but my front wheel (which I have been saving) has a non standard (early I assume) Hope disc hub. No way it is going to work! Even so, I'm not convinced the brake cylinder would be on the right plane with a correct hub.

The forks are threaded steerer type which I have no issues with...it is just the steerer is too long and I hate cutting things! I think I have found a work around using an ahead adapter and some spacers with an old early ahead stem which is very deep.

Rear brake is proving interesting. I have Avid BB7 (thanks very much to Dan) with 160mm rotors. I can see the issue of the pivot bolt catching the rotor, but also the lower chain stay catches the rotor.

I don't have a IS adapter as discussed on this forum (I have sent and email to B3 but not response as of yet). I have bought a very cheap steel adapter just to see how the brake might fit/work.
Mountain-bike-road-bike-disc-converter-v-brake-change-to-disc-brake-rack-special-frame-brake.jpg

When fitted on the inside of the frame is allows the rotor to clear the bolt and lower stay. I must read through the AMP Disc Adaptors thread again, though given the photobucket debacle without photos it may not make much sense.
What I struggle with is how with one of B3's adapters the rotor clears the frame on the stay. Or are others using 140mm rotors?

Anyway lots to think of and work on.

Re: Frustration of disc hubs!

Things have progressed a little. I have fashioned a rear disc adapter which I quite please about. It is made out of aluminium (as I had some to hand), but I will have to see how robust it is.
dscf5493-001.jpg

I had saved some Hope disc hubed wheels (unused Mavic rims) which over the year I picked up for good prices. Only now to I realise Hope had some hubs which take a different rotor size etc. Furthermore, the rear which has the correct rotor mounting has a spline which won't accept the full 9 speed cassette! I can get 6 on there!! Anyway new wheels/hubs required I fear.

I mentioned my resistance to cutting down the steerer length. This is an image of the fudge I have adopted, not particularly grace full but .....
dscf5495.jpg

What do you do to stop the cable rubbing against the wheel as below? Cable tie of is there a fitting which secure in the small hole on the chain stay?
dscf5496-001.jpg

What do you do to stop the cable rubbing against the wheel as below? Cable tie of is there a fitting which secure in the small hole on the chain stay?

You'll be needing something like this:

One in the post tonight.

All the best,

Attachments

• IMAG2819.jpg
    IMAG2819.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 586
Re:

Nearly finished, just a little fettling and front disc to sort out (front wheel is temporary-I have matching disc wheel).
Took it for a spin around the village tonight...lovely. First ride on an AMP (or full suspension for that matter).
Thanks for your help/advice guys, in particular Dan.
Very happy :D :D
dscf5500-001.jpg

Back