Roof mount bike racks for retro bikes

Re:

I could be in the situation where I need 4 bikes so 2 on the back and 2 on the roof might be the only way.

If I can get the kids bikes on the back, the lights may not be impacted so I'd need 2 roof bars then.

The 591 looks to be on the money, just need to find a couple I can afford.

My thule racks (model number escapes me now) have got fore/aft movement on the wheel trays.

I've not used them with my daughter's old bike however, so don't know if they'd slide in small enough for a kiddie bike as opposed to her current 24" wheeled one.

As for light boards, I know several people who have been stopped (some fined, some let off with a warning) for not having one. But I'd not recommend chancing it. The most telling for me was when following a car through the New Forest and almost smashing into the back of it, because I couldn't see his brake lights or indicators - and that was after me saying to my wife that it was illegal because you couldn't see lights or number plate, and giving him a little extra distance because of it.

Re:

Cheers, I certainly don't want to fall foul of the law. I think kids bikes won't obscure the lights of plate, but full size bikes will!

+1 for the Thule 591. I got mine from some Nissan dealer via Amazon for fairly cheap (linky: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-ProRide- ... =Thule+591).

Happily carries my regular road and hard tail bikes (inc. a Pace RC200) and the kids' 20" wheel Islabikes. Full suss may be a bit hit and miss.

The 591 has been replaced by the 598. Frankly the upgrades don't seem worth it for the extra money.

One thing to bear in mind is that the racks are quite wide -- I struggle to fit 4 bikes on the top of a massive Volvo XC90!

Re:

Depending on your roof bars, you can buy wider bars and leave them overhanging the side of the car a little to ensure you get 4 bikes on.

iK6aUwh.jpg

Re:

Not possible with my roof bars as the are the aero type and sculpted so they are in fact slightly narrower than the car width.

Re:

Top and tailing the racks gives you a bit more space too.

I reckon I could squeeze 5 of the exodus racks at a push, deffo do 3 bikes and a narrow roof box, provided you don't mind putting the mounting brackets outside the roof bar feet.

Back