wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've always used 175mm.... have spotted a crankset I fancy, but they are 170mm...any issues likely, or ok?...or just wait for a 175mm set to show up! :LOL:

Cheers

Re:

In my experience, the wrong crank length is very noticeable. I always feel cramped on anything under 175mm and can definitely feel it - especially on a road bike.

Re:

I feel that you notice it when you get on the bike but once you are a few miles into the ride you have forgotten all about it.
I have bikes with 180 mm, 175 mm, 170 mm and 165 mm and they all feel fine for me at a fraction under 6 foot and 33/34 inch inside leg.
Also too short is not a problem where as too long could be.

Re: Crank Lenght Question

I'm on the short side 5'7" with legs to match. Prefer 170's but use 175's on my daily commuter without major issues. Maybe in my head but I do feel I annoy my dodgy knees a little more on the 175's if I push the big ring too hard.

Desperate to try 165's but they are like rocking horse poo.

Good article on crank length here but take it with a pinch of salt. There is a more in depth one I came across whist researching bike fit I can dig out if you are interested.

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm

Re:

I'm small (160cm) and I would use 170 or 165 cranks.
But I prefer 175mm on my mtb, like they were BMX : I love the torque given with those longer arms.
But on road, were I prefer more velocity, I go to 172,5. But I don't love the 170mm feeling

Re:

Thanks for all the replies chaps :)

I took the plunge on a 170mm crank-set.

Given I'm under 5'10" and shorter legs I reckon they'll probably work quite well...slightly hypothetical anyway realistically as I'm not well enough to ride, but always built in hope!

Cheers

Back