Retro crank advice - retro build for kids?

Jam_SWorks

BoTM Winner
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
So I'm embarking on a nice light weight retro build for my 10yr daughter who has had islabikes since 2yrs. She's ready for a 26" wheel & 15" frame.

Apart from light weight & geometry the only other topic that's important is crank length. Clearly 175mm is a no go. Islabikes Spec their equivalent aged bikes (creig) with cranks measuring 152mm (for 10yr olds).

Anyone know any period / retro cranks I could run measuring 160 or 165mm for XT or XTR setups circa 1996-99ish? Seen a few Onza bmx cranksets that might work.

Advice appreciated

Cheers
James

Re:

I recently bagged a set of Deore XT M750 167.5mm cranks for this very purpose.... FC-M750 is also available in 165mm.

There are some Middleburn 165mm RS7 on eBay at the mo'.

Re:

Middleburn in 165 are often for sale. Watch out for abuse though as trials use is their intended purpose in that size. The good thing about them is you can get a multitude of spider bcds and opens up ring choice.

E*thirteen and onza are others I've seen in that size when I was looking for similar reasons (small wife, not child though).

If you can forgo actual Retroness and want to get the bike been used, it's worth looking at SJS Cycles. They have a range of retro looking 5 arm 110 BCD cranks down to around 130mm. They also have some less retro looking 4 arm cranks in black, but fewer size options.

My daughter is 9 and has a 14" Kona. I cut down, drilled and re-tapped a set of Raceface turbines for that bike.
Ended up borrowing a tool from the LBS and re-cutting and putting inserts in for the pedal threads.
They're 140 or 150mm (cant remember off the top of my head!).

If you're running a single ring up front then there's loads of choice if you're willing to spend a little; BMX race bike cranks come in all sorts of lengths, have a seach for Answer ones, square taper and anodized with lots of colour options.

Back