Orange P7 new build

Legion

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, desperate for help. Have my old P7 (frame, f7 forks and a shimano deore XT 1" threaded headset... and that's all). Looking to rebuild myself as bike shops here are not friendly and wanna charge a fortune.
Could anyone advise me if it would be possible to fit a shimano XT 1x11 group set on the frame. Looking to do maninly road and light trail so need a good speed ratio. Also, what hubs would I need and any advise on wheel? Also need advice on BB, STEM, HANDLEBARS, SEATPOST.. ETC. All help greatly appreciated.

I kind of would advise against 1x11. Why would you want to do this?
Those 1x11 setups that I tried were rather limited, especiially when you want to go fast on the straight. I guess if you choose the ratio to go fast you will then be limited in the low range...
And it will lokk funny on that old frame.

Why dont you buy new or good used parts of the same vintage as your frame is? Could be even cheaper and would certainly look better.

Just my 2ct.

Thanks for the advice. Could be a possibility but I wouldn't know what I would be looking for. Is there anywhere that lists the original spec for the 95 P7?

1995 Catalogue
Orange Archive

In the archive and gallery, button up top, there's a great collection of stuff.

If you have a pal that want's a P7 Frameset, they could buy my other one :
Orange P7 Sale

And here's a pic of my current P7

y4ma-GhUjp8FYtfOuCJrvu30ingvPfHq4of1QuAdTZSGxfM9f6dCQD3LkoGJWqXD4q4-9CfSEFoxl1J1jcN5IG9RvbGtp6brn_c4PEUiAS2V5rxFmwQy6oAvmXxMKyFp4N5KgBaqFa5nOoKhdIH-Kbzer5NoqYgwHOpPUNiepBBMomDM8Pldc3uRTsvnm6CLXKR78pyrBZTmdhvSayGHZnt2w

I am sure you will find plenty of advice here in the forum. Start a build thread, take a picture of the bike. Ask some questions. You will get so much advice about what to buy and what to build, you might be overwhelmed. ;)

Re:

Hi and welcome. I'd save the fortune and build the bike up yourself. That's what I did when I bought my Clockwork frame with XT headset and F7 forks.

There's plenty of tips out there online and with a bit of research and the tools I'm confident you could do it all yourself and not look back. There's a huge wealth of info and knowledge here on Retrobike too to help. Start a build thread and post some pics, as Thias says.

You've got a lot of very open questions regarding choice of spec but I'm sure there'd be lots of advice and opinions in response to a build thread. I’m also not sure about needing to run an 11speed.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

I do a lot commuting on my Orange – mostly road but I do mix it up rough too. A couple of years back, I had an all modern budget wheelset built by Merlin Cycles (£110) silver Mavic XM317 rims on black LX 32 hole hubs with SS/DB spokes. The rear hub accommodates up to 10 speed.

Over the years, I’ve got fed up with trying to keep a complex triple chainset drivetrain running smoothly, so now I just run a 1x7 drivetrain. I had to fit some extra spacers between the cassette and the spokes but its created a better chainline as the chain runs straighter and more efficiently now because it’s not being distorted laterally across a wider range of cogs.

I dismantled a couple of cassettes and reassembled my own choice of cogs to make a customised 7speed. It included a 34t for steep climbs, with a 26t, 20t, 17t, 15t, and 13t for a fast mid-range, finished with an 11t for tanking it. Up front, I’m currently running a 46t ring but I do occasionally run a 50t too.

I also ditched my much loved Dia Compe 986 canti brakes for some Avid 5-Digit v-brakes (awesome stoppers).

It all depends on whether or not you want to try and keep it 'retro' or build it up with modern parts.

If you have the frame number, someone will be able to date it for you and tell you what spec it was.

Then you have a choice of looking for NOS, refurbed/SH parts or modern replacements.

I'm *still* supposed to be building mine back up as I now have everything for it.

Got massively keen to begin with and then lost my focus once I started running out of time.

Got most of the bits though - and most of the parts I didn't have, I got on here.

Back