My original mk1 Raleigh Mustang and Grifter

Cogs

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

Newbie here, but having owned my Black and white Mk1 Mustang since I was 14 (late 80's). I've now decided to restore the old beast to its former glory.

Thankfully it was a cosseted example albeit tyres perished ages ago and were replaced with nasty all black numbers (by a very unsympathetic and aloof local bike shop, never to be visited again) plus I suspect new chain, rear mech and freewheel hub will need done too (Sachs right..?)

Anyway can anyone point me in the right direction for where to find these bits?

Also got my Grifter too, still on original tyres and mint. Only snag is torn foam on seat (they all did that) and a wonky SA 3 speed hub and that lovely false neutral between 2nd and third that caused many a chin/handlebar interface.

Any advice etc. Much appreciated

Cogs.
P.s. I'll get photos up as soon as I figure out how to...

Re:

eBay and the For Sale section here are your best bet. You could also list the parts you want in the Wanted section here. You might also wish to consider buying another entire Mustang to use as a donor bike. If you have space, you could keep the entire spare bike for parts, but if you don't like that idea, you could strip off the components you need now, and those you might need in future, and sell off the rest of the bike. There might well be someone else who would use, say, the frame but who isn't bothered about keeping everything else original. The same applies to the Grifter.

Above all, be patient. If you want the bikes to be just so, it might take quite a while, and a lost auction or two, before you get what you want.

Good luck with your searches.

One of my mates had the Mustang when I had my old Maverick.

Complete with those ridiculous Smiley face wheel covers and lots of neon padding.

Back