'what good bike parts have you broken' thread?

Re:

I remember getting blown off the cliff at St Mary's lighthouse as a kid back in the late 80's :LOL:
For some stupid reason me and Nathan my mate thought it would be a good idea to go for a ride in gale force winds along the cliff tracks to Seaton Sluice.
One massive gust of wind and i was away off to the right,next thing over the edge. Someone was really looking out for me that day because i landed about 10 foot down in a crumpled heap with the bike on a ledge,either side was drops down to the rocks :shock:
The thing i remember seeing before going over was a man walking his dog and throwing the lead down and start to run,then i was away to my fate.
I don't know who was the most relived him or me when he popped his head into view,me coz i'm stuck or him that i was not on the rocks :LOL:
I'll always be thankfull for him because he clambered down and got me and my bike back to safety again,dragging my bike back up then getting me to the top again.
Bet he went and walked that dog to the pub next to the Beehive and went for a pint after all that :LOL:
Thankfully there was minimal damage to my dad's bike,a buckled front wheel but still rideable to get home,my mams face was a picture when i told her what happened :LOL:

Re: Re:

M-Power":1tba76nj said:
retrobikeguy":1tba76nj said:
My XT on mavic m231cd back wheel, lent to a friend until I could sort his missing spokes out.....4 weeks later he pumped the tyres up till they were rock solid and began his ride home. He heard a huge bang followed by a sudden brake, luckily cabbie missed him as did the splintering quarter of rim.... I tried to explain why tyres have pressure limits :roll:

IMG_20170721_192342.jpg

:shock: I wore quite a few set of rims out bitd commuting but the failure was always gradual and noticable...luckily. I think the bike parts and components were much better made bitd, better alloy. I dont remember anything ever failing on me and it got hammered but i never crashed.... luckily. Not trying to be @rsey but some people seemed to crash nearly every ride :LOL: We would subtly not invite them out on SDW and big day out rides. A few 7 mile group walks shouldering injured heros to hosi pre mob phone era kind of put a dampner on some of the early group rides.

Once they're thin enough, if you pump the tyres very hard they'll do exactly this

cce":1p10mrfh said:
M-Power":1p10mrfh said:
retrobikeguy":1p10mrfh said:
My XT on mavic m231cd back wheel, lent to a friend until I could sort his missing spokes out.....4 weeks later he pumped the tyres up till they were rock solid and began his ride home. He heard a huge bang followed by a sudden brake, luckily cabbie missed him as did the splintering quarter of rim.... I tried to explain why tyres have pressure limits :roll:

IMG_20170721_192342.jpg

:shock: I wore quite a few set of rims out bitd commuting but the failure was always gradual and noticable...luckily. I think the bike parts and components were much better made bitd, better alloy. I dont remember anything ever failing on me and it got hammered but i never crashed.... luckily. Not trying to be @rsey but some people seemed to crash nearly every ride :LOL: We would subtly not invite them out on SDW and big day out rides. A few 7 mile group walks shouldering injured heros to hosi pre mob phone era kind of put a dampner on some of the early group rides.

Once they're thin enough, if you pump the tyres very hard they'll do exactly this

Yeah, I made a mental note of this :shock: Always used to run Spesh Nimbus on my commuter bitd at high pressure. Sobering stuff.

Re:

Marin full sus frames, two swing arms and one front end around the bb shell.

Drive side WTB Stealth pedal, destroyed on a rock at speed along a Cornish cliff top.

Two pairs of Middleburn cranks.

A Manitou demo fork on a very muddy wet ride in West Cornwall. We rode down what can only be described as a river of shite and into a hollow before gathering to see if everyone had made it down in one piece, when a mate said how are those forks working? I said not bad and pushed them down, where they stayed for the rest of the day!! Riding a Santa Cruz Superlight with it's beautiful buttery soft rear and a now head angle like a 'funny car' was Interesting.

Several Pace forks, although to be fair the bonding quality was so crap, I'm not sure if it was me or some slap dash fool in the factory with his/her glue gun.

Early X-Lie QR's with the removable arms which bent the first time I used them.

USE seatpost clamp fell to bits.

Ringle hub flange decided it wasn't happy with holding spokes for a living!

Ringle stem face plate, just rubbish.

Syncros forged cranks... too painful a story to dwell on.

Myself on Dartmoor when losing the left hand grip on a rocky decent, it still huts thinking about it, especially those lovely Pearl Izumi mitts I couldn't get the blood or gravel out of. My Surly 1x1 survived far better than I did.

There are others, but my memory is fading.

An honourable mention must go to Air-B latex tubes, for not only losing 5lb of air just being wheeled out of the shed, but in my case getting pinch flats all the bloody time... still loved them though.

An honourable honourable mention, must also go to Ride-On Gore Tex cables, which used to start coming apart the moment the cable was cut... a lighter was your friend, to melt the inner to the outer.

Oh happy days.

al.

Re:

^^^ Jeez thats some list. Agree anout the Air B latex tubes though. They looked so good but were utter sh1te.

al":2zurmbgt said:
Marin full sus frames, two swing arms and one front end around the bb shell.

Drive side WTB Stealth pedal, destroyed on a rock at speed along a Cornish cliff top.

Two pairs of Middleburn cranks.

A Manitou demo fork on a very muddy wet ride in West Cornwall. We rode down what can only be described as a river of shite and into a hollow before gathering to see if everyone had made it down in one piece, when a mate said how are those forks working? I said not bad and pushed them down, where they stayed for the rest of the day!! Riding a Santa Cruz Superlight with it's beautiful buttery soft rear and a now head angle like a 'funny car' was Interesting.

Several Pace forks, although to be fair the bonding quality was so crap, I'm not sure if it was me or some slap dash fool in the factory with his/her glue gun.

Early X-Lie QR's with the removable arms which bent the first time I used them.

USE seatpost clamp fell to bits.

Ringle hub flange decided it wasn't happy with holding spokes for a living!

Ringle stem face plate, just rubbish.

Syncros forged cranks... too painful a story to dwell on.

Myself on Dartmoor when losing the left hand grip on a rocky decent, it still huts thinking about it, especially those lovely Pearl Izumi mitts I couldn't get the blood or gravel out of. My Surly 1x1 survived far better than I did.

There are others, but my memory is fading.

An honourable mention must go to Air-B latex tubes, for not only losing 5lb of air just being wheeled out of the shed, but in my case getting pinch flats all the bloody time... still loved them though.

An honourable honourable mention, must also go to Ride-On Gore Tex cables, which used to start coming apart the moment the cable was cut... a lighter was your friend, to melt the inner to the outer.

Oh happy days.

al.
Serves you right fir having all that boutique shite. Exage lasts exages.

The History Man.

Serves you right fir having all that boutique shite. Exage lasts exages.

Maybe I should try this 'Exage' stuff, sounds awesome.

Imagine the money I'd have saved... D'oh!

al.

I bought a 3 year old Zinn Centaur from a guy for a decent price the only unoriginal part was an Olympus rear mech.I found out why when the rear mech forgot what its function was on a tricky descent and ejected me at speed.I replaced with another Olympus mech(the cheapest Campag option as Centaur was mad money)and flogged it.Should have flogged the groupset and stuck on XT instead,it was a sublime frame.

Back