Servicing Sakae Low Fat Pedals

lazyrabbit

Retro Guru
I had a pair of these low fat pedals for my fixie and they were already loose so I decided to open them and see what I had. I had a few problems with it.

First was the locknut on top, then a washer, then the cone. The washer fitted onto the spindle in a certain way so it wouldn't turn when you undid the top nut.

Problem is that I couldn't even get a socket (was a 12mm) over the cone from the outside so I had to move it around the spindle with a screwdriver.

Bearings - 14 on the inside, 10 on the outside. Cones were ok.

Then I'm thinking how I would normally fix a hub cone in place - by securing it with one spanner and tightening the nut with a 2nd spanner.

Then I realised why the washer was that shape - so you can tighten up the outer nut as much as you like without causing the cone to turn in sympathy.

Ok, so I go with that and get it tight, but this just makes the whole assembly tighten so the pedal doesn't spin. Why is that happening? :x

I guess that's because of the fit of the thread, it happens to most things you
lock in place with a locknut.
Just loosen it off and back the cone off a bit and
have another go.

Re:

What he said ^^

If you start the tightening process with the first nut as tight as you want it at the completion of the project, it will end up being over-tightened after securing the lock-nut. If you start with the first nut a tad on the looser side (a tad, that is) ... then after securing the lock-nut firmly, the whole assembly should find its way right into the sweet spot.

That said, pedals can be tricky.

Back