'what good bike parts have you broken' thread?

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":e9cqdauo said:
and I wouldn't like to contemplate receiving the pointy end of those surgical looking rails either :shock:

The carbon fiber splinters are far worse than the ti rails believe me. Mine broke more in the middle :facepalm: None got stuck but scratch they did and ripped my lycra :oops:

Bent an almost new Mavic XM719 rim on the front of a taxi running slicks in the rain when I was late for uni.

A trip to Llandegla seems to have killed the M739 mech on my Cinder Cone, no chain tension in it. I've been using it to do Deliveroo too while all my other bikes are u/s :(

The Nexus 7 coaster brake hub on my '90s Schwinn seems to have been ridden to death, it's started locking up and throwing me off...

I also hacksawed the ends of an already knackered Renthal RC130 bar (clamp overtorquing damage from barends) to make into a stubby flatbar for a fixie...

Monday Lunchtime 'backin college dayz', a buddy turned up on his brand new GT Avalanche. Lets ava go then I said. Wheelie across the car park and into a front pivot.
As the back landed it just kept going down and down.
The 2 day old rear rim was now bent at 90 degrees. Had to hitch a lift to Halfords with the guy that had passed his test and buy a new wheel for him. Didn't let me try out the new wheel.

The main thing I broke on my own bikes was the rear mech hanger. Round about 99 I managed to get an upgrade on my fully rigid P7 to a new M trax full susser. I think I folded the rear mech through the rear wheel at least 4 times. Ended up bending and cracking the rear triangle and the fork crown when I was messing around with mates at a motorbike trial down Aldershot way (military training ground, loads of fun)

Re:

I started the day commuting to work with 5 chainring bolts and got home with just one – wondered what the clanking was. Somehow sheared most of the bolts during the day and when I looked to see where the rattling was coming from I noticed just 2 bolts holding the assembly together. Managed a bit further then had to walk it for half hour with just one loose bolt and the rings flapping about. At home, I found some spare bolts but couldn't work out why the big ring wouldn't fit back again. Basically, I've converted a 2.3mm thick stainless steel Surly 46t into an egg ring.

Scrabbled around in the old parts bin and found a surprisingly decent 46t Tioga from '93 – happy days.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 359
Re:

Bent steel forks on a Shogan Prairie going down the stairs in a two up two down terrace house.

That finally finished it off - the U-brake bosses had been welded twice too.

Ti Parkpre Pro Elite frame broke
just riding.

Control Tech seatpost on a CX bike.

Several chains.

Mavic Crossmax rim.

Generally I take care of and don't abuse bike kit. Most stuff just
wears out.

Re:

My XT on mavic m231cd back wheel, lent to a friend until I could sort his missing spokes out.....4 weeks later he pumped the tyres up till they were rock solid and began his ride home. He heard a huge bang followed by a sudden brake, luckily cabbie missed him as did the splintering quarter of rim.... I tried to explain why tyres have pressure limits :roll:

IMG_20170721_192342.jpg

I just want to go cycle camping with midgets. It's in my head now.

I built my son a period cinder cone to do mayhem on. Frame was welded and sprayed etc. Lovely. I beaded it with my cough, 120kgs for a couple of rides. All good. He gets on, rides it 200 flat yards and clonk, frame goes. Broom to the rescue!

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":1zytlv1h said:
My XT on mavic m231cd back wheel, lent to a friend until I could sort his missing spokes out.....4 weeks later he pumped the tyres up till they were rock solid and began his ride home. He heard a huge bang followed by a sudden brake, luckily cabbie missed him as did the splintering quarter of rim.... I tried to explain why tyres have pressure limits :roll:

IMG_20170721_192342.jpg

:shock: I wore quite a few set of rims out bitd commuting but the failure was always gradual and noticable...luckily. I think the bike parts and components were much better made bitd, better alloy. I dont remember anything ever failing on me and it got hammered but i never crashed.... luckily. Not trying to be @rsey but some people seemed to crash nearly every ride :LOL: We would subtly not invite them out on SDW and big day out rides. A few 7 mile group walks shouldering injured heros to hosi pre mob phone era kind of put a dampner on some of the early group rides.

Back