KHS Comp True Temper Ti color advice

estebe

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I am looking for a nice vintage MTB to try a dropbar conversion and found this locally for 60 euros. I have a few questions as I know little about vintage MTBs and I don`t want to waste my money

First: is this a decent quality bike? I know that generally KHSes are good but I don`t know if this is one of them...
Second. Would this frame be appropriate fore a 188 cm rider? (I want to put a dropbar on it).

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,325
Re:

I have the same khs with true temper tubing and I love it...rides like a dream. Very agile and responsive. Mine is the same size as yours and is just big enough....im around 180cm

Re:

Thank you for your reply. The bike is not mine yet I was just wondering if it's worth it i.e. is it a high quality frame or just generic... My other options are a Cannondale caad2 M300 or Sunn 1000... I need to move quick so if someone more knowledgeable in vintage mtbs would chime in that would be great. Thank you again!

Re:

decisions decisions ...

I have a '94 KHS Montana Pro (True Temper frame) that I've kitted into a 'road bike' (Schwalbe Marathon plus tires and a skinny seat) and I totally love it for pavement duties.

Re: Re:

k-rod":3slt9kah said:
decisions decisions ...

I have a '94 KHS Montana Pro (True Temper frame) that I've kitted into a 'road bike' (Schwalbe Marathon plus tires and a skinny seat) and I totally love it for pavement duties.

Thank you. So what would be the hierarchy of KHSes? Is the COMP bellow or above the Montana Pro. Is it an average frame or is it worth it?

Re:

The answers to those questions I do not know, but my Montana Pro came stock with Shimano Deore XT components throughout (M737 I believe), so for that year I would guess that only the KHS Montana Pro Team edition was a higher spec bike in KHS's line.

If you search around a bit on-line, you might be able to find out what the range and specs were for the various KHS models in the year of your subject bike; and knowing what components it came with from the factory will tell you how 'desirable' or high end it may have been. Of course, there are members on this forum who might have more knowledge/experience with the KHS product ... and who thus might already know the answers you seek.

Good luck with your quest ... ;)

Re: Re:

k-rod":k4c1kd1l said:
The answers to those questions I do not know, but my Montana Pro came stock with Shimano Deore XT components throughout (M737 I believe), so for that year I would guess that only the KHS Montana Pro Team edition was a higher spec bike in KHS's line.

If you search around a bit on-line, you might be able to find out what the range and specs were for the various KHS models in the year of your subject bike; and knowing what components it came with from the factory will tell you how 'desirable' or high end it may have been. Of course, there are members on this forum who might have more knowledge/experience with the KHS product ... and who thus might already know the answers you seek.

Good luck with your quest ... ;)

Thank you. The crank and rear derailleur look like Deore LX to me but I might be wrong. Hope those experts chime in real quick...:)

Can't speak to you about the frame, but the comp would have been below the pro by virtue of the groupset alone. Nothing wrong with the lx kit, my rts2 came kitted out with it and was a cool £1500 bitd.

Re:

I think that's a '95 based on the paint.

The pecking order is Comp > Pro > Team.

This is my '95 team:

Still true temper tubing - OX2 ultra for the pro and team, and AVR for the Comp.

Your comp is a cool bike and well worth doing. I've thinned my KHS collection a bit lately but I'll probably never sell my blue/green '95 Comp - it's single speed and rides amazingly well. These things are much more than the sum of their parts.

Enjoy !

Latest posts

Back