Retrobike Touring.

All that this does is mean a load of extra weight to drag around. The weight stated in the video is 60lbs (27kg)...my entire kit for a two week camping tour is 13kg. So every hill becomes a misery, and from my experience towing my kids on a Burley trailer it is hard work into the wind.

And what does he gain? There is no wet tent to pack at the end of the day, some nice little boxes to keep his stuff in, no panniers to pack.
But I have never yet got wet in my tent - including a night of torrential rain where a stream formed under my groundsheet.

A trade off between:
a) The misery of dragging lots of stuff, slower harder cycling and the result of less distance compared to
b) The perceived disadvantages of a tent. This is solvable by a decent quality tent, cost £300.
It reminds me of the Victorian explorers carrying round dining tables and pianos.

I'm still struggling with it. More stuff = slower progress = more stuff to take. Consider going somewhere remote: more food and water for example.
It's the prospect of the sheer misery of dragging that thing up any hill; I doubt if it's much fun downhill either with that thing shoving you along.
Horrible in traffic, parking becomes an issue, impossible to ride on narrow paths, nigh-on impossible to make any progress off-road.

Re:

Just back from cycling Edinburgh to Scarborough. Mainly on Sustrans Route 1. A mix of road, gravel paths and a bit of mud also. Stayed at BnB's along the way. Small panniers are the best!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 792
For me this has been one of the few benefits of the smart phone. If my intent was to tent but the day has been shitty either weather of the ride, then a simple change can happen by looking on the net, find a local place then call or book. It allows to to save cost when I can but have the back up to hand

I booked accommodation in advance. Could of got away without on this trip, but on previous trips to the Highlands it's been essential.

Back