Magura Rond fork and the nagging clunk (oil version)

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Someone out there is bound to know what's wrong here.

With the instructions from Gruff I drained the oil and refilled both legs (with the amount specified for each)
The difference when back together was amazing however there's a dead spot of about 3-5mm on them which isn't noticeable until riding over small bumps where by the forks load and unload and it the process cluck, admittedly its felt more than ever heard.

Annoying thing is they never did it before although with very little oil in them they were stiff and slow.

Anyone had simular, proper chuffing me off.

The Mavic 217 rim that clicked for 10 years and retired twice was cured when I read a post on here about a loose internal shim and now quiet as a church mouse... So fingers crossed this is just as easy.

Forgot to add.....

Its a Magura Rond QUAKE with the built in Magura brakes in the same position as Pace.

KDM":284z16gg said:
You sure it's not the magura's clunking and not the forks?

I've been out and looked again

If you get off the bike gently and lift the front end you can push the wheel downwards about 2-3mm max
When you sit the bike down and put a small amount of pressure on the bars the fork drops 2-3mm absolute max. Not a lot but its basically unsprung travel.

I've played with the pre load and while it makes a difference it only starts after the sag
As for adjusting the rebound this makes the fork fire back up causing more of a clunk.

Re:

Funnily enough my modern'ish Manitou Black does a similar thing and i removed the oil as well. Got a feeling i didn't put enough back in. Are they your Quake Air one's? if so maybe they are loosing air.

Re:

Gruff

they're oil and springs, I've drained and refilled the left leg and added 5mls more than spec'ed in the info
you sent over to me.

I've Rock Shox 7w oil ...

I am watching this with interest as I have some of these to do...

Gruff / Retro Spud may I have a copy of the service information please? Many thanks

Bullpup":1z3zrwts said:

Gruff / Retro Spud may I have a copy of the service information please? Many thanks

Drop me a PM with an email address as its a PDF file.

That Gruff geezer is well dodgy, he'll send you something far more entertaining

Retro Spud":3vk3xgov said:
Bullpup":3vk3xgov said:

Drop me a PM with an email address as its a PDF file.

That Gruff geezer is well dodgy, he'll send you something far more entertaining

^^^^ :LOL: :LOL:

Hi Spud

Received thank you very much and I have added a comment regarding oil capacity in my reply. The amount given in that manual is for 75mm travel and yet there are are longer travel versions so maybe not enought oil? The other query is what oil to use - on the Magura website it seems to vary from 5W to 40W!!

Any way I will perhaps know more after doing my own first service. I just need to get some oil first.

Back