Shimano Deore LX 8 Speed shifters SL-M569 problem!

Mr. Bleak

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I've just sold a pair of Shimano Deore LX 8 Speed shifters SL-M569 on eBay and the geezer whom has bought them says that both shifters are jamming half way through their movement.

As far as I can see, he's running Deore LX front and rear mech.

Has anyone else had this problem?

They were bloody OK when I had them on my bike! Hardly any use and shifted like a charm! :facepalm:

Attachments

• lx_8speed.jpeg
    lx_8speed.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,038
could be a bazzillion things like crap cables, badly fitted outers.

I hate ebay with a passion because you will lose if anything goes wrong.

Re:

I guess he actually knows how to set them up ! Not connecting the cable without the shifters being in bottom gear or anything silly ?
These things are usually bomb proof they look in great condition .
Paul

Those might be one of the models that jams if you put any pressure on the gear indicator. I forget the specific model but it was really common with riser bars. You could slide the shifter in far enough that it made contact with the bend in the bar.

Re:

Sometimes the grease dries up and gets gummy. The insides probably need to be cleaned and relubricated.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

The shifters have only done 1000 miles and as shinobi said, "These things are usually bomb proof they look in great condition" - and they were when they left me! :facepalm: They've only done 1000 touring miles and were moving as smooth as silk on my bike, before I dismantled the bike and sold off the parts.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. I'm not holding my breath... :roll:

One other little nasty to check is if he is trying them on the bench without cables. The cable hanger/ holder thingy inside can loop round and jam the shifter. A little pressure on the lever and a sharp tap flops it the other way and it will release.

Frankly I can't remember, sorry.

It's simplest to undo the tiny screws of the cover and peek inside. You will know it when you see it if the cable holder has folded into the jamming position.

Well...

eBay decided in my favour, but I don't feel elated regarding the matter, as I now have a set of busted shifters sitting in a box. :roll:

Anyhow, I'll get around to fixing them, but I've just got too much on at the moment.

Thanks to all whom posted. ;)

Latest posts

Back