Early (Look?)pedals.

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What were the road clipless pedals specced on some Campag and Mavic groupset bikes in the late 80s/early 90s?Were they simply straightforward road pedals or were they modified for the off road market?I think they were Look.Gould and a few others raced with them for a few seasons.God knows how they ran with the protruding cleats.

Well, the (92-93?) Campag OR/LOOK TP93 ones were a version of the LOOK MP-90 road pedal with mud ports and an optional toothed plate on the underside:

The special cleat has a different shoe fitting to the classic 3-bolt LOOK Delta cleat so that it can be fitted to a shoe with surrounding raised tread.
This doesn't appear in any of their catalogues. Campag still have a toeclip pedal in 1995!

I don't remember a specific MAVIC off-road pedal, or anything in the Paris Gao Dakar groupset.
Most of the mad French guys who rode the Paris-Dkar BITD used LOOK road pedals and cleats.

So no real options for clipless other than Shimano SPD, but that wouldn't have been OEM spec mixed with Campag or MAVIC.

All the pics of Tim Gould seem to be later ones with SPDS, or earlier with clips and straps, in line with his previous cyclo-cross heritage, I suppose.

All the best,

Attachments

• centaur.jpg
    centaur.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 793
Re:

Good info thanks.Gould and a few others definitely raced with those Look pedals,I remember seeing them on the earlier Grundigs circa 91ish.They were specced on all the Team Peugeot bikes when they were all Campag.I must try and dig out a shot.

Something clipless going on here:

All the best,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 16.26.03.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 16.26.03.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 780
Back