Do I need a layback seat post?

Re: Re:

ishaw":3stfb4fk said:
It's the knee pain that I'm keen to avoid, so that's good to hear!

It will defo put you in a better biomechanical position then :cool:

Not wishing to pee on anyone's chips, but do Thompson seat-posts actually provide any layback, I though the layback was only in contrast to their standard inline clamp

Re: Re:

ishaw":1jwtb0pl said:
Cool. Would that be with or without adjusting the stem reach?

You have to adjust both to get set up right depending on your relative body shape dimensions. The seatpost set back is usually nominal ~ 25mm or so but that can make a huge difference to the knees as i found. This all assumes you have the right frame size for your height and build and the frame geo suits you too of course. Bitd we used flat crazy long stems with narrow bars. Wtf were we thinkin ? :LOL: Stem length and handlebar position has got to feel natural and comfortable and slightly stretched imo for decent weight distribution balance, handling and bike control. I keep various lengths of stem to test. Stem rise has a big effect too.

FWIW. Until you've actually got the seat set up properly (with layback) you'll not be able to tell what stem you need.

You're *likely* to close up your hip angle slightly so depending on where it is now you might need shorter than you expect. Unless you still have a lot of range left. In which case the current stem might be ok.

Re:

Cheers guys, all this science in set up is new to me. As you say, I'm used to narrow bars, long stem etc.

I'm pretty sure the set up as it is now is pretty close, so I'll see how the layback post changes this before tinkering with the stem. It's 110 o think, but I've a few shorter ones I can play with at a later date.

Back