New 90's Orange P7 owner looking for some advice

tlaverty79

Retro Guru
HI guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie at restorations,
I have just purchased a 90's 19" Orange P7 Nickel to refurb from ebay yesterday.

Comes with:

Groupset: Shimano Deore XT
Wheels: Shimano Deore LX hubs with Mavic 717 rims
Forks: Pace RC35 MXCD needing new elastomers.

I'm waiting on it being delivered so haven't seen it with my own eyes yet but seems to be in okay condition with some rust around the bottom bracket area.

Looking to remove the lacquer and rust and possibly polish it up.
New decals too (gil_m) looks to be the go to guy. Could someone put me on to him?
Also looking to get the Pace forks refurbished (I read there is a guy on here that does that) could someone put me on to him?

Cheers Guys

hi,
search for user (to the right side of the page ribbon, search, then select from there. gilm for the decals and justbackdated regarding pace forks. shouldn't be too hard to find them.
and don't forget the photos to keep us updated with progress!

viewtopic.php?t=364336

say this on ebay myself. forks are a decent bit of kit - cld almost strip it and make more. glad ur saving her tho.

have a look on my thread above. im pretty much a novice myself but upto trying to source the stickers now.

as for the lacquer and rust use paint stripper!

Re:

Hi Kingswood,
I think I've read every thread on the p7. I saw yours last week and was going back last night to find it and couldn't get it at all.
Your frame turned out real nice. Did it have much rust to begin with?
You still riding it?
Tony

So I bought some paint stripper and some polish. Stripped the parts off the frame and there are two dents on the top tube under the cablés and a tiny one on the opposite side too (looks like a clamp of some kind). I told myself I can live with the one on the left side and the two under the cables will be barely visible.

After stripping the lacquer off those two dents from under the cables are totally messing with my head.

I know it's never gonna be perfect but I'm seriously considering powder coating it.

The reason I bought it was for the polished metal look.

So frustrating. I should take a step back, get on with the rest of the stuff that I need to do and come back to it another day.

Question. Are there any alternatives to the Shimano 68 BB-UN72 bottom bracket? They don't seem to make them anymore?

Thanks.

As a radical idea, could you get some to use a spot weld dent puller?
Just thought of it off the top of my head but if they work on the thin metal of car bodies, maybe it would work on the butted frame?

Re:

Small dents in the steel tubing shouldn't be much of an issue, other than not looking pretty. Last frame I had with a few small dents I got the paint guys to fill them before it was painted, afterwards you couldn't tell where the dents were/had been.
I have a dent on the top tube of my Orange Prestige, I've just put a sticker over it to disguise the dent, works quite well.

I think Pace still have stocks of the elastomers for your forks, try contacting them directly. Or try retrobike member "justbackdated " who runs Fork English and can service Pace forks.

Back