What would you do? Retro Vs modern.....

Re: Re:

M-Power":19549zj8 said:
brocklanders023":19549zj8 said:
Modern stuff isn't stronger on the whole and you can ride retro on any trail. It's not as fast or comfortable though.

Well said Groovy ^^

With the parts obsolescence issues of modern bikes of incredible complexity, i cant see them being anything other than very expensive disposable sports kit. I could not get spares for love or money for a 16yr old high end full susser and had to let it go as a potential ornament. :(

I dont have the bottle at 50 to take my retros over huge jumps like they do these days, more through fear of injury to me NOT the bikes!
My thoughts exactly! I did loads of crazy stuff in retros bitd. Almost as if modern bikes need justification?

Re:

At fifty something, even taking a dense tussock of grass at the wrong angle on the allotment track is a challenge these days – pranged my knee again this morning :facepalm: unfortunately, there were several witnesses :facepalm: the previous occasion a few years back was when I was trying to avoid a concrete bollard and failed...

Re:

I haven't ridden retro for a while but still love it when I do.

I've recently gone a bit contemporary, but not fully. I have a 29er set up as b+ and have just got a fat bike up and running. Both rigid, a single speed and steel. I am still testing the b+, and it feels good, but the fattie has blown me away. It feels like a big, very big, retro ride but with the added bonus of massive grip, impressive comfort, modern geometry so it can be flung down scary stuff, and great brakes. It's heavy too, just like the old days!

Maybe try fat? I was sceptical, but rode one and it got under my skin. Subcutaneous fat?

Re:

Nah, tried fat but didn't like it. :|

My full suss can take b+ so might give hat a go. Having had a good clear out to appease the mrs I am about to push the button on a new Orange P7 ;)

Managed not to sell either of the Saracens but got creative with storage so have made some room. :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Best of Both :p

IMG_7231_edited_zps1vlw0vnq.jpg

The clockwork I have in the cupboard will never go, it's a bit like visiting the seaside you used to go to as a child, For everything else I use a 29er hard tail. I did at one stage get carried away with the retroness but it got to the point when you realise you do not ride most of them and a shed load of money is sitting there.

So now, one everydayer (29er), one retro (clockwork) and looking for a unicorn frame to keep.

Re:

The salsa is nice! Not completely dissimilar to my singular swift. I think the rigid 29er types have a lot of retro spirit.

Re:

Il drop on a new FAT Chance at some point but il still keep 4 of the old ones. They are like kids, could never sell them. Too many happy memories and they still ride perfect. Like a few above have said, im past riding the gnarly stuff, too heavy and too scared of serious injury. :oops:

Back