Snapped alu mech hanger - options

With that one i worry about messing with the wheel mount where it is raised up- I'm going to get something flat and have found a zaskar type one that might work if i can't just tighten what is in there already.

I've seen some which use a single, larger nut and bolt to the front and above the wheel axle. That might give you more space to get a hole drilled though, and maybe weld up/refinish the holes you've already made.

Somehting like that.
2209535_1.ybliitzehe.jpg

And it's designed to go on the outside, so a bit of reprofiling of the drop out and you can actually locate it properly and minimise the extra offset.

just need to use a singlespeed chainring nut and bolt to clamp it down.

That's what i was thinking as a next step assuming what's on doesn't tighten up...

mattr":2c419ekt said:
I've seen some which use a single, larger nut and bolt to the front and above the wheel axle. That might give you more space to get a hole drilled though, and maybe weld up/refinish the holes you've already made.

Somehting like that.
2209535_1.ybliitzehe.jpg

And it's designed to go on the outside, so a bit of reprofiling of the drop out and you can actually locate it properly and minimise the extra offset.

just need to use a singlespeed chainring nut and bolt to clamp it down.

Re: Re:

That's a good design assuming there is enough clearance for the cassette- I'll look into that one. Garry's bikes?

Bit of progress on this - the bolts already in aren't threaded so I've retightened the hanger. While it isnt perfect it is fine until it isnt, so Ill come back to it if I run into more issues. Thanks for the tips in here.

Coincidentally I now have another frame to fix- said I'd have a look at a friend's old trek 7000 where the mech hanger has snapped in the threaded part. I'm going to get pops on the case as he was well keen to machine up some bushes!

I'm curious how this worked out for you. I snapped off the hanger on my santa cruz heckler and I'm now in the same boat. I'm hoping to either find a new rear triangle or find someone who can weld on a new dropout.

Back