Ti bolts

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
My RTS team is my keeper (well one of x). I'm looking to do as much as I can to it to make it as nice as possible.

It's not period correct, and I've just built some 08-10 Sid world cup forks for her, using some race v brake lowers, carbon crown, ti damper etc.

I'm thinking that after the addition of the forks and some ti brake bosses at the rear (I'd like some ti for the forks too), that some ti bolts should adorn the 'ultimate build' where possible.

First question. Where is a good place to source ti bolts. I'd prefer to place an order number one go.

Second question, what size bolts are generally needed for a general replacement (stem, brakes, bottle cages etc(.

Third question. Where should I draw the line? Should I leave bolts for suspension well alone, or is it safe to upgrade? I did have an RTS with a full time bolt upgrade, but at the time I sold it, I didn't make a note if what bolts were replaced with ti ones, and their sizes.

I'm determined to make it as good as possible, so any pointers on where it is safe to replace and where not, plus sizes and sources gratefully received.

Re:

Except for cleat bolts I cannot think of any bolts you cannot replace by titanium. Some types of steel bolts are stronger, but most comon on a bicycle is stainless in A2 quality and that is prety much the same strengthwise as ti. Simply measure all bolts and replace. If you want to go even lighter you can replace some bolts with aluminium ones, just beware these are weaker so only cable clamping and bottles bosses etc. I've used this website http://www.biketweaks.com/titanium-bouten affordable and fast delivery.

Re:

As stated above, just measure up what you need Ian and have a search. I've bought from Race-ti on ebay, but prices do vary, so worth a look around. Should be fine as long as it's a decent grade material. I haven't bothered with stuff from China though, maybe for stem spacers ;)

I recently replace a steel shock-mount bolt with a ti one, took it off, measured and searched for the same size nut (ny-lock ti!) and bolt.

iirc bottle cage bolts are M4 (alloy is fine) stem bolts tend to be either M4 or M5, canti-bolts M6 - again all from memory, so do check! ;)

Cheers :)

Re:

Thanks. I'm after some longer bolts for use with a brake booster. I plan to use some x-lite covers so need the by head to fit inside these. I'm also not sure exactly what length to aim for as I don't have the original bolts and spacers for the booster.

I think standard bolts are 20mm, so would doubling this be ok? Booster is a fibre lyte, brakes are avid ultimate. I've pinched a spacer from another booster which I think should work.

Do you have anything similar in steel you could try?

Re:

Some years back I replaced the bolts on my Pace with ti. Also a few of the biggest bolts on my good road bike. You get what you pay for! All of the bolts from my Pace came from a fastening dealer in London, price varied daily due to the commodity price. They are head and shoulders above the ti bolts I bought from a specific bike bolt and fancy CNC bits supplier which I bought for my road bike.

Yes the bolts for the Pace were much more expensive, but have stood the test of being done up, taken out and refitted several times. The crank clamp bolts for my road bike rounded out during fitting, tried removing them made it worse. Ended up beggaring up the crank. So much more expensive in the long run

Re:

Agreed. My RTS isn't going anywhere so I'd rather spend the extra £ than buy cheap.

Back