Do I need a layback seat post?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've been out riding once a week for a good for or 5 weeks now, racking up 30-40k each ride.

I've got the seat post where I need it (when it stays there), have tried a few saddles and have things pretty settled now.

The saddle is mounted as far rearwards as I can get it, but feel I need to go a bit further back still. The rest of my position is fine, but I feel a bit more comfy further back than the saddle will go. Does this suggest a layback post might be in order? The rest of my position feels right enough.

Sounds like it, but how can the rest of your position be fine if the saddle isn't where it should be? taking the BB as the reference point, first set the saddle relative to it (height and setback, not just measuring along the seattube), then once the saddle is where it needs to be, set the bars relative to it.

The type of seatpost you need is determined by the saddle position you want and the seattube angle.

Re:

I would say yes. I use a Salsa Ti regulator with 25mm of set back. It makes a massive difference to ride comfort. Easier on the knees and gets the weight back a tad more. Longer stems are more likely to affect the handling and balance badly, especially if you go too long.

Re:

Thanks for the replies, food for thought.

When I say the rest of my position is fine, I guess I mean I'm not over or under stretched, pretty comfy all round. It's just my backside feels more at home if I shift back on the saddle past where I would perch naturally. Don't get me wrong, it's not comfy doing that as my rear end isn't benefitting from any of the (relative) comfort the saddle normally offers, it just feels more right all round (discomfort notwithstanding).

Oh, and I've not tried carbon paste yet, haven't had the time to lay my hands on any.

Re:

These have a nice natural shock absorption to them. Handy 410cm length and bomb proof non slip clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 760
Re: Re:

ishaw":2l1ue63g said:
It's just my backside feels more at home if I shift back on the saddle past where I would perch naturally.

Sure you don't need to shift your saddle forward then? So it's more underneath you?

Re:

I'm probably explaining myself badly, so I'll try again.

Reach is fine as things stand. My backside feels better placed further back than the saddle will go with the current seat post. If I'm riding and I shift my arse back past where it should be placed on the saddle, it feels more comfortable position wise (not comfort wise, as I'm not really sitting on the padded parts that offer the support needed).

I hope this makes sense.

I've just ordered a Thomson layback post, so I'll try that when it arrives. As all but my backside feels good as it is, would I need to contemplate a shorter reach stem? I'm guessing no, as this would counter the layback, but I'm thinking that as my reach is fine now, perhaps it's all to do with leg/backside position when pedalling, and a shorter stem would allow me to retain my reach/position aside from leg rotation.

I've never been into the science of this stuff before, but then I've never been doing 2-3 hour rides frequently, so not had to think about long term comfort in the saddle.

Re:

I found moving slightly further behind the pedals improves pedalling power and reduces knee pain/strain.

Back