Yeti ARC restoration - My #1 'want' bike since 1991

tomskid27

Dirt Disciple
Hello all.

Just wanted to share (and document) this restoration and hope it will inspire others to start their dream project. I've gotten my inspiration from others on this site and other places such as FB. I would like to mention them all and thank them all, but as of now, I can't remember them all. Two of the peeps who motivate me to get off my but and 'do it' is Martin K and the guy who did the Ranjeet Yeti restoration on here...can't remember his name. As I go through with updates, if there is a name to thank I'll mention them.

Ever since I got into MTB in 1990 and saw my first YETI in Mountain Bike Action, I had want/desire to get one. But as a 18yr old poor kid, the chances were slim. Then at the NORBA Nationals watching the PRO (and now legends) like Juli, Johnny, and Jimmy (Deaton) race them, I just had to have one. So finally here's my Yeti ARC build.

* this is my first post here (ever or in a long long time), so please forgive me if things are posted up as a NOOB.

Attachments

• 0 - Copy.PNG
    0 - Copy.PNG
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,614
Re:

This is the reason why it wasn't being ridden and being sold. Of course I bought it, considering how difficult it is finding one in my size of 17.5". I thought the fix would be easy and simple without too much $$$ involved. How naïve I was.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.PNG
    1 - Copy.PNG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,613
Re:

Finally got the frame from the seller and it was awesome. It was about 95% the same as my 2003 ARC. But for whatever reason, it being a 90's Yeti carried a mystic coolness about it with me.

Attachments

• 2A - Copy.jpg
    2A - Copy.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,612
Re:

close ups of the damage. :(
Off to FTW for repair! ;)

Attachments

• 7 - Copy.JPG
    7 - Copy.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 8 - Copy.JPG
    8 - Copy.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 9 - Copy.JPG
    9 - Copy.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,613
Re:

This next pic is NSFW if you love Yeti's. You might just fall out of your chair, be so distraught, and have to go home from work. This was sent from 'the MAN' himself.

Attachments

• 10 - Copy.JPG
    10 - Copy.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,614
Re:

While the frame was at Frank's, the fix for the s/t was a full replacement of the s/t and he recommended the head tube be replaced as well, since the h/t's have a tendency to crack too. It only made sense to me to do it. I've seen other Yeti's with the h/t problem and didn't want have to send it to him again for a future fix of this once I had the bike re-painted.

Frank is an F'n absolute craftsman! His work is 100% meticulous & he is 100% professional! He is a LEGEND. The total time at his shop was a few weeks. It was winter time or some time during the off season and I don't think he was too busy. I didn't pay attention too much to the elapsed time cuz 1) I'm not going to rush a craftsman in fixing my bike and 2) it allowed me more time to save/make enough money to pay him. ;)

Attachments

• 13 - Copy.JPG
    13 - Copy.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 12 - Copy.JPG
    12 - Copy.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 11 - Copy.JPG
    11 - Copy.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,613
Re:

After some time at Frank's being repaired, I finally got the frame back.

Now the next step is paint. Normally an easy task, because Spectrum Powder Works is my 'go-to' place of choice. I've had frames and parts painted by them in the past and they did great job!
But since they sold off the bike part of the business, now only paint car stuff, changed management, website down, and were being flakey in returning emails, I got the vibe not to send my frame. Good thing I didn't. They went non-existent.

More updates later when I get the time.

Attachments

• 14 - Copy.jpg
    14 - Copy.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,607
Back