Should I worry - cracks around spokes?

Re:

Thanks all. The spoke tension isn't tight, in fact I'd go as far as to say not tight enough. It's been hung on a wall for 4 years not used since the wheels were rebuilt, I ducted it down today and spotted them. Rather annoying indeed. Looks like it deserves a rebuild, might crack out the nos m950 hub to match the rear then. Speaking of rear, I didn't notice anything there but the spoke tension was pretty loose.

I reckon the shop that built them up for me didn't have the right man for the job, but didn't want to turn away the money/job.

Re:

Wonder if anybody loosens wheel spokes a turn or two each if a bike is being laid up for a long time. :?

cce":27w9t90z said:
most of the instances I've heard of are with CD rims, so maybe it's something in the anodising
I *heard* from someone connected to mavic that it was a combination of tolerances and slightly too tight/too short eyelets over stressing the rim around the eyelet. Don't know how much truth in that. But it would make sense.

Re: Re:

M-Power":2tigttwo said:
Wonder if anybody loosens wheel spokes a turn or two each if a bike is being laid up for a long time. :?
If the wheel is built correctly it shouldn't matter. There's no fatigue cycles, and material creep would be so slow you'd need to lay it up for decades to make a difference.

Unless you've got the spoke at 20% over tension for the rim........

Re: Re:

mattr":1zzq0fct said:
M-Power":1zzq0fct said:
If the wheel is built correctly it shouldn't matter. There's no fatigue cycles, and material creep would be so slow you'd need to lay it up for decades to make a difference.

Unless you've got the spoke at 20% over tension for the rim........

Agreed. I have stored premium wheels for 30yrs with no issues but just wondered if this had been tried. I used to loosen the bolts a bit on a bike when it was being layed up for a good while. :eek:

What could go wrong.
swlCwNWWvAg91JiFey32kSyxWWZvrbK_d6rn9qSrYggKUPMR2QFqZwUj5NzawjUXyBZie9cPoKRenW-Ia0tw_HgiLInQ099GIfBmiQA9olkl9VEps1SJtnOB_OR665zDnyZAYHjFEtaR64haUnoQE39yvmJh-pSbovxBWf_28ibL7fyYpOIsY7Zf83pILDCIbec6entMPXjolsRwtA_JW74DHOINzP4z5p4zh5N4ORRJ7zlGvm8teh3NaeA_i9zBJOVKTJ2c1V5mlRKCHKnw-FNq5sNj6eOA0YqOXU7POplSkiXbszMoyj9HoAwPYNWDunsb1v8G9Vq0gXzoBV63sBHDo6gbIb18btYSTnRr-eyDTiIgxn7NN3hhqNl-rzZM4IM8r8MRnZjX3APYVDLDR6jpf8Or5yKvL3vUOHXcOnpBkh8m6NAYD2RrZZN4XFSPVTDjYa868YankUvL__bpz5WsbBhEhy5LbByQ_ne-msP4n0Mgw1rhXX4xCKHA-egQwS8URs6eMOYYLa6Gm1lpEPy3iA-z_8JSzkx-IXV_DaT77x9iFUj98IFUKkuz-JFreGRqcPfK11Gdn_J0NbTSfvWyDrOL8bkQN2ZJKzTxYhH-4NF2U_41=w1259-h944-no

(the guvnors wheel, somewhere near coniston, some years back, think it's one of them Mavic wheelsets they made.)

Re:

Have you removed the tyre, tube and tape to check the hidden parts of the rim?

This is what I found one time...

Attachments

• rim crack close up.jpg
    rim crack close up.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 437
mattr":4da9386a said:
cce":4da9386a said:
most of the instances I've heard of are with CD rims, so maybe it's something in the anodising
I *heard* from someone connected to mavic that it was a combination of tolerances and slightly too tight/too short eyelets over stressing the rim around the eyelet. Don't know how much truth in that. But it would make sense.

More info here

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/anodized-rims.html

Back