How much torque for Pace RC35s

Re:

Lots.

More than 5nm I would think.

Just looked at the RC35 manual in the archive, can't see torque specs for those bolts, only the brake boss's (15Nm) and brake boss clamps onto the carbon lowers (1.5Nm).

I'd probably go for nearer 10Nm tbh, I've got a new torque wrench and a new steerer to fit to my RC30's so I might try this myself.

Re:

If it is the early RC35 with the 4 M6 bolts in the front of the crown: 11.5Nm.
Do not be tempted to whack em up hard; you will only crush the stanchions.

In fact its best to take the stanchions out of the crown to check for previous crushing/pinching at the top, it can lead to fractures in the stanchions and failure :shock:

When refitting use Loctite 270 or similar spread in the crown socket and on the stanchion tops, then fit them and tighten the bolts equally making sure the steerer has its circlip and is in the correct position.

And check regularly as stated in all the Pace manuals

Re: Re:

justbackdated":2i74si4b said:
Do not be tempted to whack em up hard; you will only crush the stanchions.

In fact its best to take the stanchions out of the crown to check for previous crushing/pinching at the top, it can lead to fractures in the stanchions and failure :shock:
Yeah, a mate had his go after a service at a well known Leeds based bike shop. Once we actually got a look at the forks you could even see where the stanchion had been pinched by the crown.

The shop (of course) denied all knowledge.

Cool thanks for the info.

The previous owner had the forks serviced by fork english a while ago but never fitted them to a build. I have justed put them on my orange. I did a short ride on sunday with the 4 crown bolts done up to 5nm and they held ok. I didn't want to over tighten them as mentioned above.

11.5nm seems like a lot? Is that an official pace figure?

Re:

Yes, 11.5Nm directly from the original manual I have here at
FORK-English Towers ;)

I always tighten to 6Nm though which is plenty when combined with the Loctite. Can always tighten the two nearer the steerer a bit more. As long as they are tightened consistently; a little on each until up to pressure, ther should not be a problem.

Back