Recommend a good lock

Re:

Anything sold gold secure would be where I'd start. There a a few good u locks for around £20 that i use, mostly to secure bikes in the garage, but they see daylight occasionally.

I'd also use the extra cable that you can wrap through the wheels and attach to the lock. A bit more of a deterrent and saves you having to remove a wheel.

Re:

I've heard that for truly expensive bikes, even the very best locks are useless ... as pro thieves come with a canister of liquid nitrogen and within moments, the lock material is shattered off ...

:(

Re:

Google liquid nitrogen vs bike lock – blast freeze the locking end, then smash it up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXk_Yzw0nU

I've lost several [crappy] bikes, even when they were securely D-locked to seemingly immovable structures. If popping to the shops by bike nowadays, I always D-lock it to very obviously immovable industrially solid structures in prominent/watched locations, never leaving it locked up anywhere for longer than 15 minutes.

You can't be careful enough with a much loved or valued bike. Time and time again, I see people with nice bikes leaving them locked to nothing or even just propped unlocked outside somewhere – all it takes is a few seconds for it to be never seen again.

Always take time to check the municipal frames/racks/structures provided for locking bikes to, just in case they've been tampered with (loosened at one end or sawn through with stickers or tape wrapped over to disguise the tampering).

Secure the D-lock through the wheel and frame so it's filled in such a way that it can't be moved to provide leverage for anyone attempting to break the lock. An additional cable lock could also be useful as a further deterrent – anything that makes it look like more of a chore to deal with and get through.

If it's a nice bike that's completely well secured, people can still vandalise it and remove any parts they like, so always keep your best well-loved bikes at home in the house out of sight and away from Light Fingered Freddy.

Back