Pace hub Vs xtr m950

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a build currently sporting as new m950 hubs laced to mavic 217 sunsets. I've also got a wheel up for sale built around a pace carbon hub. I hadn't thought about using the hub on the build until yesterday, but now i have, would it be a better hub over the xtr? Build is a titanium dbr axis TT with the ti carbon rc31s, and part of me thinks it would be a nice wheel one laced to the sunset rim. The other part of me thinks the xtr hub is fine, matches the rear and doesn't want the hassle of rebuilding a wheel, or non matching hubs.

Is it worth the effort or should I stick with selling the hub as a full wheel as things currently stand?

I would keep it matching and save the other hub for the next build. Maybe see if you can find it a match. What bike is this going on?

Re:

Hi Ian

It is the difference between better and more desirable we have to establish.....

Pace carbon hub exotica, sexy, desirable and works.

XTR hub, sleek, race proven, works like a dream.

In short they both work very well, just comes down to which you desire more and how lazy you feel ;) :D :D

I think the Pace hub runs nicer than the Shimano, but not sure about it on a sunset rim? you are also, as said, left with unmatched hubs. Not sure what really goes with a Pace hub, maybe a black Hope or another black/silver carbon hub? Having said that, i ran a Pace wheel for years as it was a well built wheel and ran smooth, but i wasn't bothered about the looks so much. Down to personal preference really :)

The other option is to sell the 950 wheel set to me and take them out of the equation, making like easier :D

Mark

Re:

Thanks for the input. I'm not planning on any other builds at present, more the opposite. I'm trying to rationalise and in doing so, trying to ensure the builds i keep are as good as they can be with the parts i have.

So in terms of the hubs, xtr are indeed great hubs, but is the pace front better than the xtr front? I think the pace has sealed bearings, but aside from that, any reason not to stick with xtr?

Back