1992 Stumjumper M2 Bottom Bracket

unofficial":2q16p0lc said:
Cheers! Speaking of replacing, I really wanted to keep the cranks and everything, any ideas of the top of the head what I should be looking for in a new BB that will still be compatible with my drivetrain?

Measure the bike frames bb shell, should be 68 or 73mm, also measure the axel length once the cranks are off and let us know. I have a few spare so may be able to help :)

if its just a little play you may just be able to tap the adjustable cup round a fraction,thats what its there for..use a screwdriver and hammer to gently loosen the lock ring and use the same screwdriver to tap the cup around via one of the peg holes,will only need a couple of degrees,re-tighten lock ring,2 min job and free! a bit bodgy i admit but if you are looking at replacing it anyway then nothing to loose.

Re:

As I said, definitely a 73 shell. Spindle length probably 122.5, but worth a measure once cranks removed. I ran a 73/113 with a set of later race face cranks.

Worth checking if anything is loose. Does the spindle move when you wiggle both crank arms or is it just one side? check the crank arm isnt loose. Also try to re tighten the bb as they can work loose.

First off this site is so awesome, I really appreciate you all taking time to help out!

I am in the process of becoming one of you, I am ordering a bunch of tools so that I can finally fix my headsets, freewheels or hubs, and of course bottom brackets. I have a fair amount of bikes so it seems worth while.

I will first try as some of you suggest and remove the driveside crank and see if I can get rid of the play by tightening with the pin spanner, then if the problem persists perform surgery on the whole BB.

To clarify there is no lateral play (side to side), only very little play when pushing forward (pedalling) and it seems to be present on both sides. It is again a relatively small effect but any play in this manner is disconcerting when mountain biking...

Again appreciate the feedback and when the tools arrive and I get a chance to play around with it I will update!

Back