Xtr differences

Jason-75

Old School Hero
Hi. I haave a frame i want to build up with 3x9 xtr from the 950 range, i have noticed some of the mechs from this range ie 950,952 and the 953 have the reverse action rear mechs. Could someone explain how it all works as im worried I'll buy some shifters that wont work with the rear mech.
Are there any of the above numbers i should avoid. I want the shifting to work the conventional way.
Cheers

There are no differences to worry about when mixing these shifters and mechs. The reverse action ones go down instead of up, shifting is simply opposite to what you would expect.

Hi Jason

The rd-m950 is 8 speed. As for rapid rise, the rd-m950 and rd-m952 are normal rise mechs and the rd-m951 and rd-m953 are rapid rise (reverse). so if you are looking for 9 speed, normal rise, m95* xtr, then the m952 would be your best bet :)

Mark

I have a M953 rapid rise on my GT Zaskar. This is a recent acquisition so I don't have much experience with it but I have read about them a bit. This seems like a polarizing topic. People either love them or hate them. Currently the Zaskar is on wall hanging duty while I ride my 97 Santa cruz heckler so I can't state an opinion. But I have read that depending on riding style they could wear out a little faster. On the other hand you might find a better deal on one and have something unique and interesting.

Re:

My only concern was buying a standatd style rear mech then buying shifters and them not working together. Cheers

as mentioned, the shifters will always work with the rear mechs, it just that he mechs work the opposite way, still work though.

And as long as the shifter matches the cassette, 8 and 9 are interchangeable too

Back