old chestnut - will road levers pull canti or V best ?

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Seem to have a mental block on this one.

Will combined road shifter/brakes pull canti or v calipers. Which would be best?

Thinking it must be cantis as my old kona jake was frog leg but doubting it.

Thinking of going frankencross on the peak finder or even turning Frank into a frankencross 69er. Got everything here I would need for 9 speed.

I know they should pull cable disc ok?

Not buying any more frames as I'm waiting for something to become available but need to fiddle to preserve 'sanity'..........

Thanks THM

Re:

Cantis and road disc calipers. You might not be able to pull mountain bike disc calipers though some people have managed it. I can heartly recommend TRP Spyres for road duties.

Re:

Normal STI/Ergo road levers will only work with cantilevers.

Shimano STIs shoudl work with mini-v's (short arm v-brake calipers), so if you prefer the convenience of v-brake set up that could be an option.

However, campagnolo Ergos apparently don't work with mini-v brakes. Campagnolo did for a very short while make some mini-v brakes, but they were for some flat bar shifters/levers that they offering at the same time.

Re:

So cantos or bb5 would do it. Sounds like frank will escape the abuse as I've only got pro max mtb cable disc calipers.

Thanks guys.

One added nuance - for cantis, it's really only the older wide profile ones. Low profile need just a bit extra cable pull and don't work at all well - typically you have to set the pads very close to the rim and even then the blade ends up awfully close to the bars.

Re:

BB5 road will work, BB5 mtb, you'll need to take your chances.

Re:

Tried cable pull discs and found well set up cantis worked/better and were more reliable but you have to use the old Shimano XT 2mm brake cable/straddle cables, cable housing, proper ferrules etc to prevent cables stretch. As has been said brake pad set up, straddle length and set up are critical, as are good brake levers and Aztec blocks...but...get it right and you will be able two finger stop fast, even if you have eaten all the pies, as i have ;) V brakes are quite snatchy and spongy by comparison imo unless you use Avid Arch Supremes with upgraded blocks.

Back