'what good bike parts have you broken' thread?

Re:

I don't break bikes, I just break myself :eek:

I remember I broke a few Tioga T -Bone stems BITD (doing diwnhill/bmx stuff on a local MX track , in the end the bike shop refused to replace them and I think that's how I ended up using a Control Tech stem, which didn't break.

Hope hubs always seemed to go 'ping' at random moments but not much else. Either I'd not ridden hard enough or was too much of a tight arse to ride hard enough to break anything.

Re:

I started to move off - heard an ominous 'clunk' - bike and rider deposited on the ground - no injuries (other than my pride :oops: ) - picked the bike up - ah, what's this, the bars rotate but the forks do not.
Out with the allen key but unable to tighten the clamp which had on further investigation broken in two. Could have been a lot, lot worse if I'd been moving. Stem was a Spectre U/L, OE on various Gary Fishers and Jamis bikes around '95, '96.

Re:

Don't often suffer punctures so it had been quite a while since disassembling the wheels to fix something. Decided to remove the rim tape to do a full rim clean and was shocked to discover that both my beautiful vintage FIRs were secretly cracking in two around their circumferences.

Attachments

• rim crack close up.jpg
    rim crack close up.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 493
Re:

Oh how good, I know this, this is what I am good at!

Let's start early years, riding in scotland 1996. Done most of the west highland way took all our gear in a backpack. Camping in the wild with all the midgets as company. I broke chain, damaged carbon seat stay and flattet out on devils staircase too many times on Michelin xc tyres with greenlite inner (what was I thinking). In the end I had gone through al my patches, had to cut and tie it together and stuff the tyre with grass to get down the mountain. Still, after getting better tyres it was one hell of an adventure. We repaired the frame, my brother still owns it.

I broke: 1 frame, 2 rear hubs syncros and hugi, few rims and chains, set of nice canti brakes, flite carbon saddle (auch), syncros seatpost, tyres, another saddle. I must have forgotten a part or 2, strange thing is that apart from some ribs I haven't broken a single bone.

IMG_0296_zpsvircikpc.jpg

Re:

and I wouldn't like to contemplate receiving the pointy end of those surgical looking rails either :shock:

Re:

Cut a pair of mark 1 rock shocks off with a saw when normal methods couldn't get them off. Broke 2007 XT R crankset when I forgot the correct direction to remove them. Broke two carbon seats. Think I've broken other kit but these are the most memorable

Back