Help with naming and dating this decal-less Kona frame?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Or is it even a Kona.....?

These are the only pics I have for now, and I've spent all afternoon trawling through old pics on here etc trying to identify the model from the placement of the mudguard eyes, triangular style drop outs, and tapered seat tube at the bottom.....

Which tends to push me towards a 1993 model of some sort, bearing in mind the lack of V brake boss at the back of the top tube, and the cable routing.

What models had that tapered seat tube, all of them back then? Higher end models only.....?

Attachments

• Kona 2.jpg
    Kona 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 732
  • Kona.jpg
    Kona.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 732
Re:

Thanks ;)

14", according to the seller, who hasn't a clue what it is. Suits me fine though, as I'm a short arse.... :LOL:

Re:

What the serial no.

Pretty much all hadtheir ovalising seattube if it was tange-ish tubing back in the early 90s.

They lost it when the tube diameter got thicker... or cheaper.

Any other tunes 'special'.. ovalising at the end, butting?

But unfortunately Konas mid/bottom end where pretty generic in style.

Re:

Still on it's way to me chaps, so can't answer a lot of that, I'm assuming once it's here I'll be able to work it out. I've had Cinder Cones with that tapered bottom of seat tube, and it looks tapered, as opposed to a bulge. I'll measure other bits and bobs once it's here, obviously.

Re:

Right, here we go. It's 14" centre to top, 30mm seat clamp and 26.6 post, neither of which I have, and.........................................

1" head tube :facepalm:

and stripped/ripped up threads in non-drive side of the BB :facepalm: :facepalm:

I never asked about the headset size for the simple reason the seller said it had a 34mm BB shell :shock: and anywhere between 27.2 and 25.4 post needed when I asked. Asking what size headset it needed just seemed like a question too far.....

Have sent him a pic of the stripped/damaged threads, we await an answer, but there's no way this is for me. It seems very light, but I haven't weighed it, and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the tubing diameter, so I assume it's no Explosif :LOL:

Attachments

• kona 14 ins 009.JPG
    kona 14 ins 009.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 495
  • kona 14 ins 008.JPG
    kona 14 ins 008.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 495
  • kona 14 ins 006.JPG
    kona 14 ins 006.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 495
  • kona 14 ins 003.JPG
    kona 14 ins 003.JPG