Zaskar seat tube size and date

Retro junkie

Retro Guru
Hi all
Picked up a gt zaskar frame this morning at local car boot!! Needless to say I have been polishing for hours.
It has a few marks and dinks here and there but overall it's not bad! It's definitly not ready for the heap just yet.
so I need the seat post size and the year of manufacture if poss.

The frame has the Easton stamp in front of the headstock with a frame number of 05981799 with 18 below it.
Thanks all

Re:

I think that up to 1993 they were 26.8. '94 onwards they were 27.0 (or occasionally 27.2, depending on which way the wind was blowing in the factory that day). I have a feeling that from around '97 they may have changed again, maybe to 27.2- but I'm not certain.

The only thing you can be sure of is that you can guarantee if you say something like "all 1995 frames were 27.0", someone will be along to inform you that They've had two '95s and one was a 26.8 and the other 27.2.

Do you see where this is going? :D :roll:

tIB":3vu5x2w2 said:
May 98 I think. Not sure on seat tube size- older ones are 26.8.

Not so..the vast majority of the Zaskars from the beginning to 96 took a 27.0 seat post. Those of you using a 26.8 should look at the slit in the seat tube and notice that it's pinched and nearly touching at the top because if you have a 28.6 and it looks like that you should probably have a 27.0 in their. There were some runs with a 26.8 and that's because it was during times when that was the only size wall thickness they could get from Alcoa.

I have a 92 LE that a 27.0 will not go into and it's the only Zaskar I have that takes a 26.8. Have a 92 Green Ano, 93 LE, 93 NOS Purple, 95 NOS BB, 95 NOS Purple/BB fade, 95 Ink Blue, 96 Red ano and they all take 27.0.

tIB":1w619yii said:
May 98 I think. Not sure on seat tube size- older ones are 26.8.

Not so..the vast majority of the Zaskars from the beginning to 96 took a 27.0 seat post. Those of you using a 26.8 should look at the slit in the seat tube and notice that it's pinched and nearly touching at the top because if you have a 28.6 and it looks like that you should probably have a 27.0 in their. There were some runs with a 26.8 and that's because it was during times when that was the only size wall thickness they could get from Alcoa.

I have a 92 LE that a 27.0 will not go into and it's the only Zaskar I have that takes a 26.8. Have a 92 Green Ano, 93 LE, 93 NOS Purple, 95 NOS BB, 95 NOS Purple/BB fade, 95 Ink Blue, 96 Red ano and they all take 27.0.

I still have my original (bent) 26.8mm GT (kalloy) post. It is most definitely 26.8mm. My later ones have been 27.2mm from about 1996.

Re:

Just discovered that a 27.0 is loose in my Oct '93 frame. :roll:

I don't think its been reamed as you can see the anodising on the inside of the seat tube. I'm going to try a 27.2 off one of the other bikes,I have a feeling it will fit.

If it does, that will be the second pre 96 frame I've had that needs a 27.2 seat post. (Both anodised).

Back